Double Yolk

misskes

Songster
5 Years
Jun 15, 2017
Courtesy of my white Leghorn.

IMG_0735.JPG

I have 8 week old and one 10 week old chick and I can't wait until they start laying! I will be amazed if I have double yolkers!

Last edited:
I have 8 week old and one 10 week old chick and I can't wait until they start laying! I will be amazed if I have double yolkers!

I really didn't even know it was a possibility lol. She skipped a day then the next laid an XL egg and my coworker who used to have chickens said it was probably a double yolk and what do you know.

As far as I know all breeds are capable but don't quote me on it lol. The egg I posted came from a White Leghorn.

Awesome! And those yolks are a nice color, too!
Yes, I use a feed that contains marigold in the formula, and I also let them out to free range 2 hours before sunset, weather permitting. Both are supposed to darken the yolk.
As much as I like double yolks,:ya I'm sure my girls would rather lay a regular egg. GC

IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG
My 13 girls have just started laying in the last two weeks. In fact I don't think they are all laying yet. Anyway we have had two eggs laid of the same enlongated shape and both were double yolk. I am not sure which one is the one laying the double yolk. Pretty sure it's not the road island reds or the silver wydottes. Its for sure not the amaracanas so that leave the two big black hens, not sure of their breed or the other ones I am not sure of the breed. I believe we are pretty sure the black hen was owner of a very small egg today. But the other hen has not been seen sitting in any of the boxes. So a follow up question is, what is the breed of the two in the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom