1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Double yolks??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lalo navarro, Jan 7, 2017.

1. lalo navarro

lalo navarro Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2016
    Fort Worth Texas
    I don't know if I've done something wrong or if my chickens are not healty but I cracked open an egg this morning for breakfast and it had two yolks I cracked two more eggs open and it was the same two yolks I didn't eat them I still cooked them up and fed to Louie. I've never had this happen as i have never raised chickens before lol any info is appreciated

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Double yolks are not uncommon especially from the high production breeds/crosses. Eat them - don't waste them as there is nothing wrong with them.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

That often happens in new layers as their system is still working its' kinks out. There may even be times with no yolk or soft shells.

Those double yolkers are perfectly delicious! And NO problem to eat them. [​IMG]

4. lalo navarro

lalo navarro Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2016
    Fort Worth Texas
    Thanks I have some for tomorrow morning I've been getting an egg everyday now for about a week and I super excited!! Thanks again.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

What breed have ya got?

In the beginning you might get weeks of laying with no break. So when a break comes many think something is wrong, but that is normal. It can take a couple months for consistency to be normal and the eggs to reach their standard size.

Usually the double yolked eggs are much larger than normal for that hen. I have gotten up to 3, and I think the record is 9! [​IMG]

Pics of eggs and fowl are always welcome. [​IMG]

6. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I wish all of my eggs were double yoke, the tastiest part. I've only gotten 3 or 4 out of about 10 dozen that I have eaten. GC

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by