Doughy Crop of 6 yr old Silkie hen

Faraday40

Free Ranging
10 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Illinois
My daughter has a 6 yr old silkie hen as a companion animal.
Hen sleeps in the bedroom cage but spends the day (when not in my daughter's arms) with other bantams in a chicken tractor. My hypothesis is she got an impacted crop from eating long grass (but other illness could be possible.) Hen is slightly thin but she just finished raising a brood of chicks. Her abdomen feels normal.

Couple days ago:
Night: When big hard crop was noticed, we took away feed at night. Hen was not happy about this.
Day 1: Crop did not empty by morning. Daughter gave hen some oil soaked bread.
Later that day I massaged lump & could feel scratch grains- maybe. Lump softened only a little.
Hen layed an egg mid day. She vocal and cries for food and attention
That night I gave hen about 1 tsp of coconut oil. She was hungry and gobbled it up straight. I massaged for about 10 min and felt it soften.

Day 2: Yesterday morning crop may have reduced slightly. I gave more coconut oil (this time had to chill and put it in her beak). Another massage which loosened things but no decrease in size. Repeated massage at noon, afternoon, and night. Her pooping decreased as day went on and changed to squirting oily liquid by this morning. I was worried about no food intake. Last night I offered a hard boiled quail egg. Barely ate any. I soaked chick feed to make mush - she gobbled. I took food away after a min. because she was eating so fast.

Day 3: Today: The crop feels doughy. I can still feel hard bits like grain or sand sitting at bottom. I mixed the contents of 1 stool softener gel cap with 1 tsp of mushy wet feed. Hen won't touch it. There is no sour odor but the feel is different. It's not only large and soft --- it's like kneading soft dough. This hen not eating the mushy feed makes me nervous. I worry that impacted crop is changing to sour crop. This is a very spoiled and special silkie.

Any advice on next steps?
Do I keep trying the oil and massages? (Perhaps I'm not doing it frequently enough) Any tricks to getting the oil into the hen?
Do I force the stool softener?
Do I allow hen to eat? If so what?
Should I give miconazole nitrate cream?.... or do I wait until things are moving?
Should I give dewormer or Corid in case it's something else?

IMG_2919.JPG grace xansie.JPG IMG_6507 copy.jpg

IMG_E5522.JPG IMG_7354 (2).JPG

Is the girl pictured your daughter? I hate to say it, but keeping a chicken in a cage all day doesn’t sound great for the bird… do you ever give her cut grass? It sounds like she’s eating a lot but isn’t actually getting any food if that makes sense. You should check with a vet.

Xansie did go to the hospital. There was no infection, but she likely ate some long grass that caused impaction. There were also some periodical cicadas that she was feasting on last week. We don't know what caused it, only that her crop didn't feel right. She was acting OK but chickens hide illness.

We caught it before it went into sour crop. Xansie is outside with the bantams in a chicken tractor during the day, but comes inside at chicken bedtime. She'll sit in a lap for homework or watch TV on the sofa until DD goes to bed and brings her upstairs. Other chickens sleep in the coop, but not Xansie.

My daughter has a 6 yr old silkie hen as a companion animal.
Hen sleeps in the bedroom cage but spends the day (when not in my daughter's arms) with other bantams in a chicken tractor. My hypothesis is she got an impacted crop from eating long grass (but other illness could be possible.) Hen is slightly thin but she just finished raising a brood of chicks. Her abdomen feels normal.

Couple days ago:
Night: When big hard crop was noticed, we took away feed at night. Hen was not happy about this.
Day 1: Crop did not empty by morning. Daughter gave hen some oil soaked bread.
Later that day I massaged lump & could feel scratch grains- maybe. Lump softened only a little.
Hen layed an egg mid day. She vocal and cries for food and attention
That night I gave hen about 1 tsp of coconut oil. She was hungry and gobbled it up straight. I massaged for about 10 min and felt it soften.

Day 2: Yesterday morning crop may have reduced slightly. I gave more coconut oil (this time had to chill and put it in her beak). Another massage which loosened things but no decrease in size. Repeated massage at noon, afternoon, and night. Her pooping decreased as day went on and changed to squirting oily liquid by this morning. I was worried about no food intake. Last night I offered a hard boiled quail egg. Barely ate any. I soaked chick feed to make mush - she gobbled. I took food away after a min. because she was eating so fast.

Day 3: Today: The crop feels doughy. I can still feel hard bits like grain or sand sitting at bottom. I mixed the contents of 1 stool softener gel cap with 1 tsp of mushy wet feed. Hen won't touch it. There is no sour odor but the feel is different. It's not only large and soft --- it's like kneading soft dough. This hen not eating the mushy feed makes me nervous. I worry that impacted crop is changing to sour crop. This is a very spoiled and special silkie.

Any advice on next steps?
Do I keep trying the oil and massages? (Perhaps I'm not doing it frequently enough) Any tricks to getting the oil into the hen?
Do I force the stool softener?
Do I allow hen to eat? If so what?
Should I give miconazole nitrate cream?.... or do I wait until things are moving?
Should I give dewormer or Corid in case it's something else?

View attachment 3540397View attachment 3540393View attachment 3540402

View attachment 3540395View attachment 3540389
I lost my 5 year rooster in 2021 with similar situation at last day his crop was doughy 25 days he didn’t eat only drink still he stay alive but couldn’t make it due to crop issue
At last his crop is all like a flour dough it’s tight and very squishy kneed like feeling I miss my teetee so much
He face this due to over eating seeds that stoops his food completely

Back
Top Bottom