Dougie has hurt herself again!

Pics

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
This morning I quickly realised that Dougie isn't putting weight on one leg, she's holding it, out (forward, perhaps slightly to the side) but above ground, whenever she attempts to walk on it, she limps or falls, it's definitely causing her pain.
I felt the leg and haven't noticed any heat, swelling or obvious breaks, no cuts. She laid her egg early this morning as usual, perhaps a few hours ago, I'm not sure exactly.
I am pretty certain its an injury, hopefully only a sprain, I think I'll put a niacin capsule in their water, and some nutritious yeast on their food, I'm wondering if giving her some nutri drench could help, just give her a vit boost? Or should I be trying calcium incase there's another egg in there?

I love my girl so much and this is the second time in a month that she's hurt herself! She never had any issues before this month.
I'll keep a close eye on her, I wont be able to get an immediate vet appointment as there is only one avian vet, who isnt very local, and she's pretty booked up. Anything I can try to keep her okay? I think I'll be keeping her and her sister inside in the indoor pen again to try and prevent her from moving too much and making it worse.
If it is a sprain, how long will it take to recover, how fast should I see improvement and what should I be doing? Could it be a break or something more serious? It definitely happened during the night.

Advice much appreciated!

This morning I quickly realised that Dougie isn't putting weight on one leg, she's holding it, out (forward, perhaps slightly to the side) but above ground, whenever she attempts to walk on it, she limps or falls, it's definitely causing her pain.
I felt the leg and haven't noticed any heat, swelling or obvious breaks, no cuts. She laid her egg early this morning as usual, perhaps a few hours ago, I'm not sure exactly.
I am pretty certain its an injury, hopefully only a sprain, I think I'll put a niacin capsule in their water, and some nutritious yeast on their food, I'm wondering if giving her some nutri drench could help, just give her a vit boost? Or should I be trying calcium incase there's another egg in there?

I love my girl so much and this is the second time in a month that she's hurt herself! She never had any issues before this month.
I'll keep a close eye on her, I wont be able to get an immediate vet appointment as there is only one avian vet, who isnt very local, and she's pretty booked up. Anything I can try to keep her okay? I think I'll be keeping her and her sister inside in the indoor pen again to try and prevent her from moving too much and making it worse.
If it is a sprain, how long will it take to recover, how fast should I see improvement and what should I be doing? Could it be a break or something more serious? It definitely happened during the night.

Advice much appreciated!
I've had duck sprains improve within hours. I've had duck sprains rake several days to heal. I think it depends on the severity. Keeping her from moving a bunch will help.

Have you checked her leg for swelling? Does the joint work ok? Anything feel out of place?

Advice much appreciated!
Just to note, I just went ahead and gave her some calcium, just in case. Her sister laid 3 in one day once so I'm always worried about egg binding. She has me pretty concerned!
Here is a video of her,
You can see that she is reluctant to walk on it. Poor girl is in pain, but guess whats on her mind? She's constantly laying down and being extremely flirtatious with her sister, and I too whenever I pet her. Honestly Dougie. 🙄

She'd be okay while your at the vets. No sense in taking both. It would just be extra work for you and why expose both the the vet clinic?
yeah, I've decided to leave her home, hopefully she doesnt get too stressed on her own- this has all been quite hard on Sprightly, she's been very unsettled. Dougie will be fine anyway since I'll be there.
I've picked up the dog crate and Dougie is settling in there now, this will also help me to see exactly how much she is eating, drinking and how her poops look

Update:
Back from the vets now-
The vet had a very good feel of Dougie's abdomen and legs, stretching and bending the joints, she says there definitely doesn't seem to be a break or fracture, and that there is no swelling on the leg. She said her tummy looks and feels normal, and since she's laying normally, she is convinced that her problem is purely muscular. She sent us home with an anti-inflammatory pain meds to keep her comfortable, and instructions to continue hydro-therapy as much as possible. She agreed that egg production could be making it more painful for her, but for now the pain medication should help enough. If in 5 days nothing has changed, or if she is still in a lot of pain at night, I'm meant to bring her back for X-rays to double check theres nothing else going on, and perhaps go ahead with the hormone implant to give Dougie some relief. But the good news is she thinks Dougie will be just fine.

I could tell she didnt know everything about ducks (for example, she suggested syringing the pain medicine into her mouth if she wont take it in her food), but she definitely seemed competent handling poultry and seemed knowledgable in other aspects, asking all the right questions etc. So with her help, and this forum's advice combined, I think we'll be okay :)

I've given her the first dose of medicine, just put it on some peas and she gobbled it down easily.
Everyone at the vets loved her, and the receptionists went crazy over her story of coming from Sainsburys eggs and hatching on Christmas day lol.

Is it time for another Dougie update?
For sure!
She's doing better since starting the pain medication, definitely. We're continuing the hydrotherapy which is also helping. She's still in her recovery crate atm, but I'm considering letting her back in the pen with Sprightly as of tomorrow, since she's doing better and I'm not worried about Spright knocking her over anymore-- I think it'll make both of them happier to have eachother back properly. Sprightly lies right next to Dougie through the bars, missing their cuddles for sure!
Sprightly does get jealous of Dougie's medicine, etc, but I always make sure to bring her a couple peas or a blueberry so that she doesnt feel left out lol

Dougie hasnt been panting/trembling at night since starting medication, so I think its doing its job and she's feeling a ton better 😁
So hopefully back to a bit of normality tomorrow, for us all!

Back
Top Bottom