Dougie has hurt herself again!

Pics
She sure couldn't ask for a better caregiver. That's good she is using it some which hopefully means nothing broken. Maybe she got her leg caught under a tree root or stepped into a hole and sprained it. Just hoping it's something that will heal given time.
That means a lot! I always feel like I'm really bad at this, whenever they get hurt- Hopefully the vets tomorrow can rule out a break/any other issue and offer her something for the pain. How often do you think I should do water therapy?

If you can do it 2-3 times a day that would be good. Sometimes especially when working you have to work around your schedule . If she is enjoying the baths and you can do it even 4times a day would be fine. Giving the leg some exercise in the water sure wouldn't hurt. Is she a water lover? My Buffs and Runners will get in their pool and go to sleep my Muscovy like to bathe but they aren't water hogs.

If you can do it 2-3 times a day that would be good. Sometimes especially when working you have to work around your schedule . If she is enjoying the baths and you can do it even 4times a day would be fine. Giving the leg some exercise in the water sure wouldn't hurt. Is she a water lover? My Buffs and Runners will get in their pool and go to sleep my Muscovy like to bathe but they aren't water hogs.
oh yeah! She loves water! As soon as she hits the bath she goes insane and gives me a shower, she just goes crazy and the water splashes a lot lol. She was a bit more restricted today but she still had a good time. I'll aim for 3 times a day

She's panting again this evening, I'm wondering if, because of her struggling more at night, it could be due to egg laying? Perhaps she has a bad sprain or something and when she's getting close to laying, the egg causes her more pain- perhaps pressing on her nerve?
It's just a thought. If egg laying could be making it worse, or if it's an egg problem entirely, I'd consider a hormonal implant to stop laying for a bit. Does anyone think this could be the case/a good treatment option?

She's panting again this evening, I'm wondering if, because of her struggling more at night, it could be due to egg laying? Perhaps she has a bad sprain or something and when she's getting close to laying, the egg causes her more pain- perhaps pressing on her nerve?
It's just a thought. If egg laying could be making it worse, or if it's an egg problem entirely, I'd consider a hormonal implant to stop laying for a bit. Does anyone think this could be the case/a good treatment option?
My girl has the implants. Just got them earlier this month. SUCH A RELIEF. Saved her life. Took the doc just a few minutes to put them in. I imagine mine will eventually have to be spayed, and the vet is looking at surgery to remove some old egg material if she doesn't pass it soon. I would absolutely recommend it if your vet agrees that it would help with any possible laying issues.

Maybe the panting is pain related? Or exhaustion from moving herself around using her wings? I am pretty new to dickies, myself, so I can't say for sure. But I imagine egg laying in itself is exhausting.

My girl has the implants. Just got them earlier this month. SUCH A RELIEF. Saved her life. Took the doc just a few minutes to put them in. I imagine mine will eventually have to be spayed, and the vet is looking at surgery to remove some old egg material if she doesn't pass it soon. I would absolutely recommend it if your vet agrees that it would help with any possible laying issues.

Maybe the panting is pain related? Or exhaustion from moving herself around using her wings? I am pretty new to dickies, myself, so I can't say for sure. But I imagine egg laying in itself is exhausting.
I definitely think its pain related panting- in better news she hasnt been lying down as much today, and her leg has looked a little better at times, its just tonight that she's looking rough again

I definitely think its pain related panting- in better news she hasnt been lying down as much today, and her leg has looked a little better at times, its just tonight that she's looking rough again
Maybe she overexerted herself today. Poor baby... I'm super glad she's having some positive response today.

It could be egg related. It can make ducks go limp. Water not only helps the leg, but can help with egg laying too. When I find soft shelled eggs occasionally, I find them in the pools sometimes because of this.

Implants could be a viable option. Hopefully the vet will be able to help her out.

Back
Top Bottom