Dougie has hurt herself again!

Sigh.....
Dougie seems to have sprained her other leg now... Not as badly as before, but I did all the checks that the vet did and noticed her other foot getting sore due to taking all her weight. So, I still have some meloxicam. The, use by date seems to be 2023, but its been opened for a while, should be fine right?
Figured I might give her some for a couple days, along with water therapy like last time.
I expect it'll heal pretty fast, so I don't feel the need to crate her like before. But it def hurting her, and she didnt even want to stand up when I slipped my hand under her, just lay there like "no thanks mum, I dont want to go outside".

The only way I can imagine this happening, is if something spooks them, and she clumsily runs/falls, as they have a step around the pool, and a step for the coop, no drops or things to trip over. So I'm very confused as to how she has managed two sprains in such a short period of time? I feel like I need a baby monitor cam for these birds....

Poor Dougie! Don't know the right answer on the Meloxicam, but I don't think it could hurt to try it. I'm sure someone else here knows.

In the meantime, best wishes for her speedy recovery! She's had quite the year.
she really has, the past couple months have been full of cuts and bumps. It was going fine before that!

I will say, I have had a LOT of different kinds of animals over the years, and I'd never experienced this amount of injuries and accidents until ducks!
I mean the clumsiness in their nature... When free ranging especially, they will literally try to fly, About a metre up, and then fall back down with a thud. Or fly up onto low down garden tables and then walk off the edge...

I can see why first aid kits are reccomended.

Back
Top Bottom