Dove Breed and Gender

Delaneygraces

Certified Procrastinator
5 Years
Jan 14, 2018
Illinois
hello! I picked up two doves this past weekend, and was curious as to what breed they were, and their genders. I’d really like for them to be a pair, but if not, I’ll stick keep them. The nicer feathers done is pretty tame. The other one kinda hisses at me.
They are both a creek color, and seem to have a slight black band on their neck. The one has really ruffled/frizzled feathers, why is this?
0C7F77EB-116B-40BF-9F0B-546EE49313BF.jpeg
6E225ACC-BEDE-41E1-BEA6-B26B4E5C035E.jpeg

They are ring neck doves. The only way to know which is a cock and which is a hen is by watching them. Males will usually bow their heads down and do a funny coo sound. Almost sounds like a laugh.
Depending how young they are too. If they are still young they will not show signs of weather they are male or female. Female usually have thinner necks than the male and just have a smaller built in general. You can also feel for the vent bone. If one is wider than the others, then you probably have a male and a female. But this method can depend on how old the bird is and if its ever laid an egg yet.
As for why the birds feathers look how they do, none of us can answer that. It could just be that they got damaged, its cold , its sick. We cant know why just by a picture.

They are ring neck doves. The only way to know which is a cock and which is a hen is by watching them. Males will usually bow their heads down and do a funny coo sound. Almost sounds like a laugh.
Depending how young they are too. If they are still young they will not show signs of weather they are male or female. Female usually have thinner necks than the male and just have a smaller built in general. You can also feel for the vent bone. If one is wider than the others, then you probably have a male and a female. But this method can depend on how old the bird is and if its ever laid an egg yet.
As for why the birds feathers look how they do, none of us can answer that. It could just be that they got damaged, its cold , its sick. We cant know why just by a picture.
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom