Dove Sexing

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by poultryinmotion, Sep 22, 2009.

1. poultryinmotion

poultryinmotion Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    I have had Ringnecks for around 15 yrs. The best way to tell male from female is observation. I am open for questions and I can provide videos and stills.... I just hope people are interested!!!

2. truecolorsloft

truecolorsloft Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    campton NH
    with our doves, (same size same age) the males seem to have a slightly larger head than the females. Other than that we look for the male bow coo's and back mounting. LOL!

3. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    A friend of mine has 2 ring necks and they will mount each other. She does not have a clue what sex they are.

4. truecolorsloft

truecolorsloft Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    campton NH
    Quote:might be two males, we were given a "pair" of white doves and the owners were fed up with the "breeding but no eggs." Well come to find out, once we added a female to the mix, it became apparent(very quickly) that we had two males in the same cage. Just our humble experience.

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Could also be Reverse copulation, I've seen this many times with Pigeons and doves...

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:Either they are young or they're both boys. I've had several pairs of boys who act just like a real pair, minus the eggs :p I've also had pairs of pigeon hens, who acted like actual pairs but ended up incubating 4 eggs!

7. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Hmm. I wonder if mine are both boys then. they coo, and do thir thing, and build a nest and all. But no eggs. Guess I will have to keep checking the auction barn for more of them, to see if i can find any girls eh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by