downfall of automatic coop doors

Quote:
Couldn't you have one that only releases in the morning, doesn't close at night? Or you could put the closing time so late that you could shut them in before that time. Just a thought. Tuck them in at night and sleep in in the morning. I am getting a laugh thinking how high tech it all is. Put a baby monitor in so you can listen to your chickens...better yet...how about a two way radio so that you can talk back. Put in an automatic waterer, a feeder that holds 50 lbs if food, an automatic door shutter, put up some motion sensor lights and alarms on the outside. Now if I could just get a robot to bring the eggs and clean the coop...

Quote:
Couldn't you have one that only releases in the morning, doesn't close at night? Or you could put the closing time so late that you could shut them in before that time. Just a thought. Tuck them in at night and sleep in in the morning. I am getting a laugh thinking how high tech it all is. Put a baby monitor in so you can listen to your chickens...better yet...how about a two way radio so that you can talk back. Put in an automatic waterer, a feeder that holds 50 lbs if food, an automatic door shutter, put up some motion sensor lights and alarms on the outside. Now if I could just get a robot to bring the eggs and clean the coop...

yuckyuck.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
This is what I have and love it. They go in like clockwork at 8:20 pm, I always go out and secure the run. They don't make a peep until it opens at 7:00am, my son opens the run door and they play in the yard all day. Couldn't be happier!

This is our first coop and 1st week of the chicks (4 weeks old) going in and out - the automatic door has been adjusted so it closes early and opens early. That way I can still go out early enough and put them to bed until they understand how to put themselves to bed. Next week we'll have it close later and hopefully by then they'll understand where they're supposed to live and where they're supposed to sleep. As far as shavings kicked out - our door is raised from the floor about 6 inches with a large ledge for them to hop up on and then walk out of - so the shavings don't get kicked out. We're going to change to sand as soon as the pine shavings are used up and that will cause even less issues. I have the door on metal drawers slides to help keep it from sticking - we'll see how well this works this winter. I got it for convenience when we're away and asking other people to come take care of the chicks. I don't want our flock locked in all day long b/c someone couldn't get over to let them out at 5:00am or put them back to bed at 8:00pm - this way the person just needs to make sure the feed/water are okay once a day. The chicken tender is happy, I'm happy and the chicks are fine.
smile.png

I'm worried about a predator getting in before the door closes and being in all night with the chickens. Has that ever happened to anybody? That is the main reason why I open and close manually, plus I get to count heads to make sure everybody is in.

Quote:
Most predators that kill chickens get in and do the deed pretty quickly. I think if they get in while your chickens are there, the pop door being open or closed won't matter much. I time my door to close about the time when they have just gotten up on the roosts. If a baddie gets in there it's over either way, more than likely.

As for snow, my roof has an overhang and the door has never been stopped by snow or ice. If there's shavings, it just won't close all the way, but it's enough off the ground that it hasn't been a problem so far. Only problem I have had is the occasional clog of the door tracks with shavings or poop or whatnot. Hasn't happened very often and someone with a better setup than mine may not have that problem. We have one really unconventional door that opens sideways and that one has had the string slip off once and left them locked in.
tongue.png
Not a tragedy, just a glitch we had to fix.

I don't think any of the doors are perfect and if you are home 100% of the time when it's time to open and close, I don't see why you'd need one.

Hello all,

I love this forum because so many people have different ideas and ways of doing things. It was extremely helpful to me when planning my coop months ago. I took ideas from here, used them or changed them up for my situation. As far as "automatic doors" go. Here is my thoughts. I work 24 on /48 off (Fireman) Wife works 2 jobs. Sometime getting homw after dark. We love Our girls(named all 31) and love to spend time with them. It helps us unwind. But....when it came to making raising our girls convenient.....I went with automation. Yes, I have an auto pop door on timer, exhaust fan on thermostat, lighting on the outside to see our way when we want to visit after dark, Large feeder for days and days of feed, chicken nipple watering system and bird bath (rain fills it), poop trays for ease of cleaning, deep litter method over congoleum on floor, and on and on. Like I said earlier, we love our girls....but we have an active lifestyle. We travel, stay out late, etc... I like the piece of mind I get by having these items. I don't feel "chained down" to having to be in the coop around the clock. Cudo's to all of you that can be out there in the morning, in the evening to lock them up, etc... For us, the automation works. Good luck to all with happy, healthy chickens.
Erik

Quote:
I would love to see some pictures. I am still working on the coop. So I have been wondering what I need in the coop. There run will be much larger than the coop and they will get out in the big yard often. Does this cover it: I am only going to have Bantams.

1. Some kind of bedding sand/straw/wood chips.
2. Access to food/water
3. roosts. How much linear foot of roosts do I need Per Bantam. Should I have different widths of roosts?
4. Brooding boxes. How much sq ft do I need per box.
5. Ventilation.

Is there anything else that I need?
Once I get what I need I can work on their jacuzzi and disco ball.

I think the jacuzzi and disco ball would be awesome. Thanks for the idea. They love my birdbath for walking in, so a tub in the ground might just work. Check out my webpage for more photos. I am always updating it as I add new things. Now, gotta find a mirrored ball and spotlight.
Erik

i usually have to get up early to go to work and ill let them out but on days off they will wait until i feel like getting them out. that might sound mean but thats a punishment for not going in good at night

Back
Top Bottom