Drake Attacking Other Drake. Very worried, please help!

GuruWombat

Hatching
Jan 6, 2021
Hello all,

I have been raising 4 Pekins for the past few months. They are my first ducks and I love them. They are my babies. I got 3 back in May of 2020 (2 drakes, 1 female). Sady, the female passed after being born rather weak.
I got two more females in September after rescuing them from a friend who could not raise them rightly. The person had no open water for them.

Just today, I woke up to go feed them and all of the sudden, a drake (Squaggles) began to attack the other (Marvin). Now it wasn't badly, he just chased him off from the food. Marvin a sweet heart who likes being pet and held so he didnt fight back. Squaggles then would not let Marvin come back and eat. So I went back and got Marvin and fed him alone. I have never seen them do this before.

They all left together and Squaggles didnt seem as hostile out on the water.
I am worried sick about Squaggles drowning Marvin while Im gone at work.
Is there something I can do to possibly help Squaggles cool off and not hurt his brother??
Thank you.

One of my ducks, Thimbleberry, can be territorial regarding resources. In particular water, food, me, and mating with the top duck. Thimbleberry can seem very mean to the most submissive duck, Nettle. Thimbleberry often chases Nettle away from the resources, and pecks at Nettle if Nettle gets too close to the resources. Nettle, like your Squaggles, is very sweet and just walks away.

My solution is to provide multiple water buckets and food bowls. If Thimbleberry is in a bad mood when I give treats I put treats in both hands and hold my hands far apart so Nettle can have some, too.

Other members will know more about drakes than I do. I do know that 2 drakes with 2 female ducks is usually not a great ratio - for the female ducks. They can get injured by being overmated. I have heard, repeatedly, that having female ducks around can make drakes behave agressively towards each other, so maybe that is what is going on with your boys?

Back
Top Bottom