Drake now a Hen...Help !!

monathequeen

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Burlington KS
Hi Duck Owners.
I Have Two Rouen Drakes Who Just Molted For The First Time. Ihave Noticed That Since The New Plumage Is Coming In, One Of The Drakes Looks Totally Different Now. His Head Is Now Striped Instead Of Green Like Before. And The Wing Feathers That Had A Beautiful Purple, Blue Marking Is Gone...i Cannot Figure Out Why This Is Happening. Can Anyone Give Me Some Info On This Freaky Transformation.
I Really Hope He Isn't Trying To Be A She...i May Have A Lesbo-duck On My Hands. What Do You Think ?

Thanks For The Quick Reply....i Barely Left The Comp. And There Was A Message. Ok Then Why Is One Of The Drakes nEW Feathering Exactly The Way He Looked Before The Molting Started. And The Other One Not ? Hummmmmmm

Last edited:
I bought them at the same time. They were about a week or two old.
They started molting at exactly the same time.
I'm glad to know that this is normal. On the other hand, I heard that if there isn't a drake in the group of hens, a hen will sometimes assume the roll of male and will try to mate with a hen.
I also have three Pekin hens and keep them seperate from the drakes most of the time and one of my hens will mount the other hen in the pool....it's rather funny to watch. But, if you have two drakes together most of the time, will a drake try to assume the role of a hen ??

Is a female duck also called a "Hen" ? I thought all female birds, chickens, ducks ect...were refered to as hens. Is this correct ? My roommate says no...it's a Drake and a Duck ... not a hen....uuugghh !! He thinks He's always right. I hope I'm right this time.

Last edited:
Well Crap....guess you learn something new everyday.........
sad.png

Quote:
you are not, he is

I've always called them hens, I don't give a doodle if it's right or not, it sounds better, i even call my goose HEN a HEN
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom