Drooling Rooster

Forever Green

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Need some help. I have a 6 y/o Buff Roo, who started acting lethargic and odd within the last week. At first, my husband and I attributed it to aging, but as of yesterday we noted him drooling with a long drool thread coming from his beak through the day. None of the other birds have any symptoms. He does not feel like he has lost weight, and we have not noted any worms.

We isolated him last night and starting a course of duramycin. Really don't want to introduce dewormer since we have not seen worms and because of his age.

This roo has been in perfect health his entire life. He has a terrible odor from the drool. So I'm thinking URI.

Any other thoughts or actions I should be doing?

Any respiratory symptoms such as wheezing, rattling or gurgling when he breaths? Runny or bubbly eyes?

Since you noted a bad smell I was thinking maybe sour crop? Or infectious Coryza? Any facial swelling? Check his crop first thing in the morning, see if it emptied overnight like it should.

Just a note about worms: The fact that you do not see any worms does not mean that a bird does not have worms. They can be full of worms to the point that their health starts to decline and you still may not see any. I don't think that what you are dealing with in your rooster has anything to do with worms, just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom