Droopy and diarrhea

crandellmisty

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 21, 2014
Michigan
I am not sure what is going on with my 1 1/2 yr old hen. I noticed something was wrong when the other girls kept picking on her. Then her wings started looking droopy. I separated her for a few minutes to feed her hoping that if she ate good she would get some strength to fight back. Yesterday I separated her completely from the group and brought her inside to a cozy place with a heat light. She ate and ate and ate then drank and drank and drank. Now she has very loose poop. Her wings seem not as droopy but she hadn't laid an egg either. However she may have not been laying all that well before. I have 10 girls so it is hard to tell who is actually laying. I noticed all this starting Friday night. It is now Tuesday. Any ideas of what is going on?

Is she usually the low hen on the pecking order?
If so, sometimes chickens will keep one or two chickens from eating or drinking anything. I've had that problem before, and I've alleviated it by putting multiple waterers and feeders throughout the coup and run. Even when they haven't done it before, sometimes the boredom that comes with the colder, darker months causes pecking and isolating behaviors that weren't displayed before.
If not, she maybe just ate something she shouldn't have? I'd keep an eye on her droppings to make sure they solidify a bit, and in the meantime, add electrolytes to her water to make sure she doesn't get low. Try feeding probiotics - you can get it in powdered form - and sprinkle it over her food. If she's eating and drinking, that's a good sign!

She seems to be losing weight. I am going to get some probiotic and electrolytes as she still has the runs. She seems to enjoy being inside
1f61c.png

If your birds have never been dewormed that is where I'd start. If you've brought in any new birds lately then I'd also consider the possibility of coccidiosis and treat for it. Adult chickens can also be at risk for a case of coccidiosis if their immune system is compromised or weakened by other problems. Chickens can be very hard to diagnose even at the best of times so most of the time we have to try to figure them out by ruling out the most common possibilities and going on from there.

Back
Top Bottom