droopy tail and wings, slight penguin walking

MyersChickens

Chirping
Jul 30, 2021
so I noticed that one of my chickens didn't seem right today. I'll list all the symptoms here. her tail and wing are droopy, but not to the extent of dragging on the floor, more so like they're just a little puffed out instead of hugging close to her. in fact all of her feathers are more puffed out. (not like broody hens) she usually keeps her wings and feathers pressed very tight against her (unless it's hot or the summer, neither of which it is) but right now they're all loose. Kahrana is also usually very wild-eyed, looking like she's ready to bolt any second, (she's actually very sweet, but she always looks crazy.) but now for the first time in her life, she doesn't look wild-eyed. her eyes are actually very soft if that even makes sense. it almost looks like she's extremely peaceful and languid.

she is walking slowly, and looks very unbalanced and unaware of her surroundings?? I'm not quite sure how to describe it. She's not limping though, she doesn't have bumblefoot, nor is she "penguin walking" which I saw is a sign of egg binding.

she did eat corn but doesn't seem to be eating any grass, but nothing is wrong with it, and all the other chickens are eating it. I'm not sure if she's eaten any of the actual food recently. I also saw her drink water, but that too is a bit weird. I saw her do it 3 times. she would take a sip, swallow it obviously, but then continue to swallow again and again like something was almost stuck in her throat? and she would only take one sip and than walk away and than come back like 30 sec later and do it again. but she's not doing the weird neck jerky thing for impacted crop, nor is her crop super hard, in fact, it's actually quite jiggly which makes me think she hasn't eaten very much food today? but she gobbled down the corn, so she doesn't seem to be having trouble eating. and both times I've dealt with sour and impacted crop the chickens didn't want to eat anything at all.

another thing i wanted to mention, its not a symptom exactly, but I've already done a bit of research and I've seen that it might be egg binding, which possibly, except she hasn't laid an egg in like 3 months, none of our chickens have actually. it gets dark here during the winter. one of them finally started laying again, so it would seem like a possibility for her but shes not breathing heavily or doing the penguin walk.

so I'm at a loss, its late at night tonight, so they're all in bed for the night but tomorrow after I've watched here a bit throughout the day I'll update. I'll also make sure to put electrolytes in their water and maybe try feeding her some eggs or foods with good calcium since im not sure shes eating their food. if you have any ideas or suggestions for things i should try or what it might be, i would appreciate that a lot. thanks! I'll also try to get a video of her walking to put on here.

How is she doing?

I would re-check her crop to see if it's emptying. With her not laying eggs in while, she may be having some reproductive problems like EYP, Salpingitis or similar. Look her over for lice/mites and consider getting a fecal float to check for worms.
Keeping her drinking like you are doing and offering food that may interest her is good. I would give her extra calcium for a few days as well to see if that helps. It may be possible she's having a hard time expelling a soft shelled egg.

If her crop is not emptying, then I would begin treating her https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How is she doing?

I would re-check her crop to see if it's emptying. With her not laying eggs in while, she may be having some reproductive problems like EYP, Salpingitis or similar. Look her over for lice/mites and consider getting a fecal float to check for worms.
Keeping her drinking like you are doing and offering food that may interest her is good. I would give her extra calcium for a few days as well to see if that helps. It may be possible she's having a hard time expelling a soft shelled egg.

If her crop is not emptying, then I would begin treating her https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-treat-sour-crop-and-impacted-crop-and-how-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-wit
Yeah sorry I forgot to update yesterday, I didn't because she was perfectly fine. I checked on her multiple times throughout the day and everything that was going on the day before wasn't happening anymore. Her tail and wings weren't droopy, I saw her eat grass and food, saw I drink water and not strangely anymore, her eyes were back to looking wild, her crop felt good, like it actually had food in it, and she was walking perfectly fine.

So I will continue to keep an eye on her for the next few days, see if any of those symptoms come back. Thank you for your suggestions, I will definitely do that. :)

Yeah sorry I forgot to update yesterday, I didn't because she was perfectly fine. I checked on her multiple times throughout the day and everything that was going on the day before wasn't happening anymore. Her tail and wings weren't droopy, I saw her eat grass and food, saw I drink water and not strangely anymore, her eyes were back to looking wild, her crop felt good, like it actually had food in it, and she was walking perfectly fine.

So I will continue to keep an eye on her for the next few days, see if any of those symptoms come back. Thank you for your suggestions, I will definitely do that. :)
Glad to hear she's doing better!

My buff Orpington is walking like a penguin. She has lost weight and has tails curled down to ground. Walking has been very difficult and prefers to stay in. The other chicken pecking on her head. Eats and drinks well but seems like disheartEd. It has been almost now more than a month. Any helpful suggestions please.
2 months ago I have dusted her for mites. Thanks

My buff Orpington is walking like a penguin. She has lost weight and has tails curled down to ground. Walking has been very difficult and prefers to stay in. The other chicken pecking on her head. Eats and drinks well but seems like disheartEd. It has been almost now more than a month. Any helpful suggestions please.
2 months ago I have dusted her for mites. Thanks
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry your hen is not well.
If she's been like this for a over 2 months, I would suspect she may be having some reproductive problems like EYP, Salpingitis or similar. Does she have fluid in the abdomen? If so, draining the fluid may make her more comfortable for a short period of time, but with reproductive problems there is no cure.
The other hen picking at her is not good. Do you have a way to separate out your BO so she can eat/drink on her own?

Back
Top Bottom