drop off in egg production

katplitt

Chirping
13 Years
Feb 14, 2009
I have 4 lovely barred rock hens. They are starting their third year of laying, and have almost completely stopped. I am getting 1 egg a day for the last week. Any ideas why? Everything looks normal although, we have had heat and humidity lately. Normally, I get 2-3 eggs each day. would appreciation your thoughts!

Could be a lot of reasons. (1) snake is in the hen house. (2) They could be stressed out over something. (3) May not be getting enough calicum. (4) One or more of the chickens could be eating their own egg.
I have had that problem and the first thing i was thinking was a snake. I spent a lot of time out at the chicken pens just watching to see what i could see and never saw a snake but i did see one of my chickens eating eggs. Took that chicken out of the pen and put her by herself for a few days.
Every thing seems to be okay now.
There is a lot of information about how to stop or correct chickens eating their own eggs.
Hope this helps.

could be a snake, would I see messy eggs and broken shells if they were eating? Haven't seen that.

Back
Top Bottom