drowning question

kristip

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2010
New Glarus
How old should the chicks be for me to be able to remove the rocks from the waterer, that they will nor drown?

I have the jar that attaches to the base kind, and have little gravel in their to prevent drowning. they are a week old now, but wanted to find out how long I should go with this.

thanks...

I should add this is a small quart waterer since there are only 2 chicks in the brooder

Last edited:
May I ask how do the marbles/rocks keep them from drowning? How much of a drowning risk is there? Do they just fall in beak first and can't get up? I've seen the advice about rocks, but never having raised chicks before I am trying to picture what the issue is all about.

Ive never put rocks or marbles in my chicks water. Ive never had one drown. I use the little screw on plastic waterers from the feed store. The bottoms come in lots of colors. So I guess it just comes down to what kind you use.

Quote:
I always use marbles for the first week. Chicks tend to go to sleep when they want to- and it's not unusual to find them flat on their faces wherever they were standing. By one week they are much more coordinated.

i use to put marbles in the water, afraid they would drown. but i don't do it anymore and they've been just fine. although this past time i DID put marbles in the water only to encourage them to peck at the water so they would know that's where the water was. after i got my shipment of chicks, i dipped each chicks' beak into the water to show them, but for hours later, none of them went back to the water....then, after i put something shiny in it, they were interested and pecked the marbles, hence learning "hey, there's water in here"...lol....silly chicks!

Back
Top Bottom