Drowning????

poupoule

Songster
11 Years
Dec 9, 2008
I was just wondering until what age chicks are suceptible to drown in the water?

I had one-day-old chick who drowned in his water (a drop!!!), so I've been very careful with my newly hatched ones. They are 2.5 weeks old now. Are they safe?

At that age, they should be able to move away from water, if you have them in a caged area.....Unless they get squished into an area where the waterer is as when the other baby chicks are move and huddle if cold or excited. If you ahave them outside and on the ground and there's been a lot of rain, they can also get stuck in water if you've been having flooding type of waters or the area they are in holds water. But this would be unusual. Ours don't go on the ground at that younger age, so this wouldn't be happening.

I have new chicks since yesterday. I would like to know until what age they are in danger of drowning in the water? I'll have to mix them very soon with the rest of the flock, where there is an open bowl of water.

So sorry you lost one to drowning, that's sad.

I'm no expert, but. My chicks will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. I started them with marbles in the water to prevent drowning. I took the marbles out on Monday and they have been fine. I read somewhere that they are susceptible to drowning easily in the first week, after that they are stronger.

I don't understand why chick drowning is an issue? I simply used a small rodent waterer with the ball that they peck at and a drop comes out and its virtually impossible for them to drown.

i think the most popular chick waterer choice is the plastic (or mason jar attatched to plastic base) jar style watereres with the small round "trough" for drinking out of, they can drown in very small ammounts of water. i have heard using marbles/small rocks in the waterer works, i havent had to do that and have not lost any chicks to drowning (though i dont have very many at a time).

Back
Top Bottom