Dry Hatching Cortunix Quails

quail.jpg

When they get started good they will pop like popcorn.

Be 1 or 2 in the Hatcher for awhile then the rest will come almost all at once.

Send good vibes your way you will wake up to 34 little quail

When they get started good they will pop like popcorn.

Be 1 or 2 in the Hatcher for awhile then the rest will come almost all at once.

Send good vibes your way you will wake up to 34 little quail

View attachment 1467870
And Now there is Two. Alone no more.
So cute! I love quail babies :)

Just candled mine and they all look non-fertile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope I just couldn't see anything yet but it's already day 6. I will check again in 2 days I guess. So dissapointing though :( It was a new source of eggs I won't be getting them from her again, if it ends up being true. Sigh.

I got 3 of them screaming in the brooder box now happy to be alive. 31 eggs still in incubator early days yet as about 6 hours to go before end of Day 17. At least these three are healthy and not straddle or spraddle leg. They are very noisy.

Day 6 is way too early, unless the egg lights up entirely. Its not disappointing if they are fertile if own stock, but if you paid for them like i did 10 of 24 were infertile its a big let down. And im probably going for a partial refund once this hatch finishes, aswell as not buying from them again.

Usually when i candle quail eggs if a chic is developing what i see is an air sack with a large black blob blocking out most of the eggs. I find it almost impossible to find veins even with a good Iphone light. I freaked out the first times as i thought they were chics that had developed and died. But most of them hatched.

Im using dry incubation, as last time i used 45-55 and then 65-75 at lock down. And i had 23 hatch and 16 drown in the shell as fully developed chics. So that last buyer before this one was awesome as 27/30 of his eggs were fertile and all 27 developed to full grown chics even though some didnt hatch. Which was my fault not his.

This has to be the weirdest hatch ever.

Dry Hatch 25-40 degrees (avg 30 degrees Day 1 to 13) temp 38.1 celsius (about 101.5 F)

Lock down 14 bring humidity upto 65-70.
All eggs were Set on Day 0 except for 3 i added maybe the following day
Originally 56 eggs, 22 infertile, so down to 34 candled them on Day 10 there was maybe another 3-4 i was 50/50 about but atleast 30 viable eggs.

Now Day 17 one chic hatches near beggining of the day, one chic hatches about 6 hrs later and then another one a few hours before end of Day 17 - 3 chics
Day 18 - begin day one more chic hatches. Opened up incubator to add water. And im hearing alot of them now chirping inside the eggs. But i cant see any pips yet.

Will update so far 4 of 34 with dry hatch but i will give it until even uptill day 21 if need be. I think I will candle on Day 20.

Back
Top Bottom