Duckman39

Chirping
Mar 14, 2019
Tennessee
So I was at the sale barn today selling some birds and I was selling some of my BBs and one of my roosters was dubbed. It had a lot of people talking. I got my BBs last year at another sale barn and the rooster was like that when I bought them. What’s yalls opinion on dubbing birds?

Why are you doing it? Dubbing started with games because it gave them an advantage over an undubbed bird when they fought them. That's why dubbing is written into the SOP for games even if they don't fight them, it is a tradition. I don't know what would happen if you tried to show a dubbed bird of another breed, I'd suspect a disqualification.

In really cold climates, dubbing could help protect a bird against frostbite. Or you might do it if the comb/wattles are damaged, either from frostbite or mechanical damage. I can see dubbing as an animal husbandry tool you could use in certain circumstances.

Bright red combs and wattles on hens are a signal to a rooster that the eggs need to be fertilized. So on a hen they play a part in behaviors. I don't know how important bright red comb and wattles are in a rooster to get the hens to accept him, it could play a part. I've read that frostbite to a rooster's comb could (not always but might) affect a his fertility. I don't know if dubbing could have an affect on fertility, I'd think probably not.

I don't see anything wrong with dubbing, under the right circumstances. It's just another tool of animal husbandry to have in your back pocket. But if you don't have a specific reason to use it, I don't see any reason to do it.

I can see no legitimate reason for doing it.
I read somewhere that early wrestlers in Egypt had their ears cut off so their opponent couldn't grab them.
For those who dub because of the risk of frostbite I would say either keeping conditions are wrong or the breed unsuitable for the conditions.

I read somewhere that early wrestlers in Egypt had their ears cut off so their opponent couldn't grab them.
For those who dub because of the risk of frostbite I would say either keeping conditions are wrong or the breed unsuitable for the conditions.
Yea I agree with you. I watched a YouTube video yesterday on dubbing and I must say I felt very uneasy about it. I was just curious of how common it is to do that to the birds.

I was just curious of how common it is to do that to the birds.

Other than for game roosters where it is part of the SOP, it is not common at all. I think you will be hard-pressed to find anybody doing that except for game roosters, and that's basically just if you are going to show them. Then it is a requirement.

I believe cockfighting is finally illegal in all 50 states. There are still people cockfighting, it makes the news every now and then. Cockfighters will also dub their roosters. Just because you see roosters dubbed doesn't mean they are cockfighting, they could be raising them for show.

As an aside, cockfighters do not want out roosters. They want roosters especially bred for fighting. Our roosters are too clumsy and slow to have a chance. Our roosters would be a waste of their time.

And thanks for coming back with your actual question. I wasn't sure where you were headed with that.

I can agree with the “breed being unsuitable for the conditions” part of your post. Kinda like using the wrong kind of birds to free range.

Back
Top Bottom