d'Uccle color genetics

Pics
I would suggest more than one thread for genetics about d'uccles. Ideas: current projects, mille fleur pattern and its variations, non-mille fleur patterns Maybe more. An occasional chatty comment in an on-topic post is one thing; many, many posts that are nothing but chat cause the topic to become hard to difficult to follow. My opinions, of course.

Quote:
Remember there is still the original D'Uccle thread for general discussion and getting to know everyone. THis is listed in the sticky on top of notible discussions by breed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=269521&p=1

Lets keep this one on only genetics.
And maybe as Sonoran suggested we start a thread on projects such as my lemon birds.

Lemon birds, well I've got a couple interesting "lemon" visual/genetic kids I'm currently growing out. WC, and one, what I was told is a "lemon dun" (haha) pullet. To me, and entirely my opinion, I believe the pullet to be either Dun or a lemon. I've uploaded a pic of pullet color (mottled too) to get opinions of true color as well as additional genetic info. This was an ooops child (just like my lav mott) so I'm at a loss. Sonoran or someone should be able to help me with this, and possible genetic base?? Is it truly a dun or is she lemon?? How would I breed her should she make final cut? I'll get to WC in a moment as I've read a ton of info and asked around, many opinions on what he is. Feathersites is the very best I could fine with proper discription/pic

Here she is: up close only to show the color...

39809_015.jpg

BTW, am I banned from the list yet??
idunno.gif
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Looks dun, not lemon to me. Lemon is a term that can mean a number of different things. In lemon blues, it is simply gold; in other varieties, it is a diluted pale yellow. There are a number of different pheomelanin diluters, and they seem to produce somewhat different hues. Henk can probably provide more information on the differences between these dilutions and the hues they produce.

Thanks for the input. So how would I breed the dun coloration and to what exactly? She's an interesting color but I dont know enough about it to "work with it".

I have a good size flock of D'uccle and like to read what others are doing and not just Genetics and the like. If this thread was just about Genetics it would be a dead thread because the experts are posting very little as I see. Let us little people speak also' I see no restrictions as to who can post.

Quote:
If you only have the one dun, breed to black. Otherwise, breed dun to dun. The dun gene works like the blue gene: 1 copy makes chocolate, two copies make khaki. Do you have a photo showing the whole bird?

Sonoran, Thank you again. I can take pics of the lil gal but it will be later today. Have Dr appt in a bit. The only black roo I have of breeding age at the moment is what feathersites calls a "lemon mille" roo who's black BASE but lemon hackles. What would you suggest from that?

Thank you too Don, appreciated
smile.png

More pics, sorry it took me a while. These are all goofy "pre teens" (in the grow out pen). What is the blue mottled called w/all the DUN in there???

dun mottled???
39809_dun16.jpg
39809_dun11.jpg

blue-dun mottled???BluePorcelain???
hu.gif
barnie.gif

39809_009.jpg

ETS readded photo

Last edited:
Quote:
Pics on a message board can be deceiving, but I don't see any dun in these photos. Where did it supposedly come from? I see what you mean in the last photo tho - I might be wrong, but I'm thinking those might be sunburned feathers - my blue mottled cochins are partially bleached out like that right now.

Back
Top Bottom