D'uccle Thread

ok so the standards say each feather should be tipped with white i dont understand why im being told my hens have bto much white my roo i understand but my hens have no pure white feathers and they are black cresented with a white v-shaped tip
What the judges mean is probably that your birds have more than a 1/4 of white on the feather. Maybe you should ask the judges to elaborate :).

ok so the standards say each feather should be tipped with white i dont understand why im being told my hens have bto much white my roo i understand but my hens have no pure white feathers and they are black cresented with a white v-shaped tip
Can you post photos of your bird? Perhaps if we see what you are talking about we can respond more specifically. Also, what kind of show were you at? ABA/APA sanctioned show? State/county fair? 4H/FFA exhibition? That can make a big difference in the judging. Also, although we'd all like every judge to be perfect, they are humans, and some are better than others, especially for some breeds. But without seeing your birds, we can't really make any sort of evaluations.

Ok so I have a question, I have a trio of Mille fleur chicks that are 2 months. Those three have a wide variety of colors in them selves. I'm wondering what you think is the best color, according to the Standard.

Cockerel feather pattern.

Pullet #1 feather pattern

Pullet #2 feather pattern

Cockerel

Group.

All of them together. Left to right: cockerel, pullet #2, amd pullet #1

Pullet #2

Pullet #1

I also have a question about my Porcelain pen, but I don't have the photos up-loaded yet.

Can you post photos of your bird?  Perhaps if we see what you are talking about we can respond more specifically.  Also, what kind of show were you at?  ABA/APA sanctioned show?  State/county fair?  4H/FFA exhibition?  That can make a big difference in the judging.  Also, although we'd all like every judge to be perfect, they are humans, and some are better than others, especially for some breeds.  But without seeing your birds, we can't really make any sort of evaluations.

i have never shown because of problems my friends had with 4h and chicken shows. photos of the chickens dont look like what the old ones did. but i have seen hens that are almost pure white win shows against ones with less spots of white
i will post dome pictures of my hens mine are much darker than most i see i have one hen who is really light but she is my only light on

What the judges mean is probably that your birds have somore than a 1/4 of white on the feather. Maybe you should ask the judges to elaborate :)

people on a different chicken site that i visit said they had to much white some of which are judges theyvsaid that my chickens shouldnt have a spot on each feather and said if they didnt have so much white they would be perceft for show i havent gone on to that part of the site since.

my rooster has to much white in his tail
also my hen in this pic has a lop sided comb if you can tell this is due to an injury

this hen also has a bad comb my guineas she hatched aye her comb for some reason

got these two pullets from a breeder in my area

young roo to big wattles not using him for anything

i was told they were to dark and have to much white they are going on three this spring. they produce really nice chicks though

This is the hen that won BB and BV at a show I was just at. There were 9 d'Uccles in the class. She is not mine, but I wanted just to give an example of a decent colored mille fluer hen.

This is the hen that won BB and BV at a show I was just at. There were 9 d'Uccles in the class. She is not mine, but I wanted just to give an example of a decent colored mille fluer  hen. 
she is beautiful much darker than mine and im being told mine are to dark. the pullets i have hatched are getting darker with better feet and face feathering. i need some more pics of show chickens, if i am going to improve my stock i need good examples thanks for the example

From your pics above, I'd say that they are too white, definitely not too dark. Also, your birds base color is very light.
I don't know if this guy is in the US or UK and he's not mine, but in my opinion has very nice coloration.
The hen/pullet below also looks to have nice coloration. From what I've seen, hatchery d'Uccle's tend to be heavy on the white. If you can find a cockerel or pullets that are heavy on black, you can breed them to your current "heavy white" birds and you will produce birds that are closer to the SOP.
600x691px-LL-c86f486a__DSC0059.jpeg

BestBelgianUK.JPEG

Ok so I have a question, I have a trio of Mille fleur chicks that are 2 months. Those three have a wide variety of colors in them selves. I'm wondering what you think is the best color, according to the Standard.

Cockerel feather pattern.

Pullet #1 feather pattern

Pullet #2 feather pattern

Cockerel

Group.

All of them together. Left to right: cockerel, pullet #2, amd pullet #1

Pullet #2

Pullet #1

I also have a question about my Porcelain pen, but I don't have the photos up-loaded yet.
What do you all think of their coloring?

Back
Top Bottom