D'uccle Thread

I thought less white was better? I like him a lot!

Exactly as I thought, this hen does have quite a bit of white....actually more white than my other mott hen but this one is much more even. I left the other hen home because her feathers and mottling were in kinda rough shape... But someone at the show did point out to me that alll the birds in the winners circle were hens. Maybe coincidence or the judge just prefers hens haha

Exactly as I thought, this hen does have quite a bit of white....actually more white than my other mott hen but this one is much more even. I left the other hen home because her feathers and mottling were in kinda rough shape... But someone at the show did point out to me that alll the birds in the winners circle were hens. Maybe coincidence or the judge just prefers hens haha
do you have a copy of the standard of perfection? if not this may help with you mottled babies :)

Comb, Face, Wattles & Ear Lobes: Bright Red
Beak: Swarthy horn.
Eyes: Dark Brown
Beard & Muffs: same as Breast
Shanks and Toes: Bluish slate first year, lighter in later years; plumage, Mottled in same
manor as plumage in other sections.

Color of Male

Head: Brilliant greenish black, one feather in three ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Neck: Hackle - brilliant greenish black, one feather in two ending in a small V-shaped white
tip. Front of Neck - same as breast.
Back: Brilliant greenish black, one feather in four ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Saddle: Same as back.
Tail: Main Tail – Black, each feather ending in a V-Shaped white tip. Sickles, Lesser sickles
and Coverts - Black, each feather ending in a V-Shaped white tip.
Wings: Shoulders, Fronts and Bows - Brilliant greenish black, one feather in three ending in a
small V-shaped white tip. Coverts - brilliant greenish black each feather ending in a
V-Shaped white tip, the whole forming two distinct bars across wing.
Primaries – Black, ending with a white tip.
Secondaries – Lustrous black, ending with white tips.
Breast: Brilliant greenish black, one feather in two ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Body & Stern: Body – same as breast. Stern - fluff, black tinged with white.
Lower Thighs: Same as breast.
Undercolor: Slaty black.

Color of Female

Head: Black, one feather in three ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Neck: Hackle - black, one feather in two ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Front of Neck - same as breast
Back &
Cushion:
Black, one feather in two ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Tail: Main Tail – Black, each feather ending in a V-Shaped white tip. Coverts - black, one
feather in three ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Wings: Shoulders, Fronts and Bows – same as back. Coverts – black, one feather in three
ending in a small V-shaped white tip. forming an irregular pair of bars across wing.
Primaries & Secondaries – black, ending with white tips.
Breast: Black, one feather in two ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Undercolor: Slaty black

Judging Instructions:
Black plumage should predominate over all sections of the plumage. The ideal white tip should be from one quarter
to three eights of an inch long on the back, body and thighs. This white should be pure within itself and free from
traces of gray or black, the whiter and sharper the better. An even size tip in all sections of the plumage is the ideal.

Defects:
Purple barring in black sections of the plumage – Large White mottling, giving bird an overall too white appearance –
Lack of mottling on back, breast and lower body – Solid white feathers in plumage.

need to go to the bottom of this page for individual colors
http://belgianduccle.hypermart.net/dUccle1page.html

do you have a copy of the standard of perfection? if not this may help with you mottled babies :)

Comb, Face, Wattles & Ear Lobes: Bright Red
Beak: Swarthy horn.
Eyes: Dark Brown
Beard & Muffs: same as Breast
Shanks and Toes: Bluish slate first year, lighter in later years; plumage, Mottled in same
manor as plumage in other sections.

Color of Male

Head: Brilliant greenish black, one feather in three ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Neck: Hackle - brilliant greenish black, one feather in two ending in a small V-shaped white
tip. Front of Neck - same as breast.
Back: Brilliant greenish black, one feather in four ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Saddle: Same as back.
Tail: Main Tail – Black, each feather ending in a V-Shaped white tip. Sickles, Lesser sickles
and Coverts - Black, each feather ending in a V-Shaped white tip.
Wings: Shoulders, Fronts and Bows - Brilliant greenish black, one feather in three ending in a
small V-shaped white tip. Coverts - brilliant greenish black each feather ending in a
V-Shaped white tip, the whole forming two distinct bars across wing.
Primaries – Black, ending with a white tip.
Secondaries – Lustrous black, ending with white tips.
Breast: Brilliant greenish black, one feather in two ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Undercolor: Slaty black.

Color of Female

Head: Black, one feather in three ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Neck: Hackle - black, one feather in two ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Front of Neck - same as breast
Back &
Cushion:
Black, one feather in two ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Tail: Main Tail – Black, each feather ending in a V-Shaped white tip. Coverts - black, one
feather in three ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Wings: Shoulders, Fronts and Bows – same as back. Coverts – black, one feather in three
ending in a small V-shaped white tip. forming an irregular pair of bars across wing.
Primaries & Secondaries – black, ending with white tips.
Breast: Black, one feather in two ending in a small V-shaped white tip.
Undercolor: Slaty black

Judging Instructions:
Black plumage should predominate over all sections of the plumage. The ideal white tip should be from one quarter
to three eights of an inch long on the back, body and thighs. This white should be pure within itself and free from
traces of gray or black, the whiter and sharper the better. An even size tip in all sections of the plumage is the ideal.

Defects:
Purple barring in black sections of the plumage – Large White mottling, giving bird an overall too white appearance –
Lack of mottling on back, breast and lower body – Solid white feathers in plumage.

need to go to the bottom of this page for individual colors
http://belgianduccle.hypermart.net/dUccle1page.html

Thank you for that...I do have the newest SOP but its definitely been awhile since its been opened. Ill have to refresh on that... I wasnt there when the judge checked out my bird so who knows, maybe he didnt perform well.....

If you breed to SOP, you could lose a lot of shows because right now lots of spangling is "in" even the SOP calls for a lot less.
The mottled roo might not have shown well because he has so much white in his beard and muff.

It has been my experience that pullets & hens almost always do better than cockerals & roos, like about 75% of the time.

I got some fertilized eggs from a lady that had only mille fleur colour...they all hatched out mille fleur except one which is porcelain (I think anyway). How could that be? Is porcelain kind of like albino, you'll just have a random one born that way? I thought it was a colour that came to be from breeding?
Here's a photo of the chick, it's about 3 weeks old:

Could anyone give me a bit of information on how the porcelain colour came to be?

Anyone here go to the Show this past Sunday in RI? My D'uccles did pretty well. There wasnt a whole lot of competition but I'm still proud of my birds:) there were maybe 400 birds. There was about 10 total D'uccles at the show....

She's didnt want to pose for me and get her tail UP but prfermed well when the judge was around:)

Of course always the most competition with Milles and she came out on top

Pretty disappointed in how this guy was judged. I thought he was better than my mottled hen and all the D'uccles for that matter.....
GREAT JOB on the mille win!!!

I have a trio of mille fluer d'uccle bantams. theres mickey, who use to be a sweet heart untill the roster hormones kicked in, still he is a very beautiful roo with great coloring. and then i have my two sweeties, daisy and maisy, they look very diffrent. Daisys mre buff with smaller spots while maisy has huge white dots giving her the white apaerence. I may have some mile fluer X buff berhma chicks hatching soon!

BarredforLife, I had the same thing happen here years ago, after several generations of inbreeding. Millefleur is dominant to porcelain; eventually the recessive came out from both millie parents, and a few porcelain chicks appeared. They are all really cute! Mary

Back
Top Bottom