D'uccle Thread

Hey wegotchickens, here's a recent pic of CreamPuff. He's a lil stinker.. him and Coffee make great lil house chicks! And he roosts in the strangest places
gig.gif
love.gif

62442_creampuff.jpg

Quote:
Yay!! Congrats!!
Can't wait to see what you end up with.

"Eggs are like a box of chocolates; You never know what you're gonna get." (My apologies to Forrest Gump)

AC, I've been thinking about this for a while and I really think I have to sell them.
And I need to do it sooner rather than later, for the space. Next week with potential single digits is really going to strain my coop. I am not happy about this, and would love for them to go to someone that will value them.
Only problem I can see is; How would you get them?

GC, you're chicken addicted? Really? I never would've guessed....

I can always take a trip down and our partner lives in Virginia.
big_smile.png

Gypsy, I hear ya on the high humidity. I talked to the guy I bought a new incubator from. He sells on ebay. I asked him about where to put the water as it has two places one in the middle (smaller) and then a larger on the bottom near the outside rim. It is circular! He told me to fill both of them up. I did and got the best hatch I've had in a while. So, I don't know.

GC, I went to dinner with the hubby and came home to another baby! Still a whole day early!!!! This one looks to be Mille colored. I was so excited because none were even pipped when we left, gone for 3 hours, come home to it and it is almost dry!
jumpy.gif

<----Sigh, yes I'm addicted and need chicken restraint medications. What can I say (heehee)

Now, what type of "restraint meds" do they give for incubators are us? Fresh corn and a bit of watermellon? (sorry, sick sense of humor)

Is that anything like the secret handshake of poultry passionates? You step up to your fellow D'uccle breeder, as each of you open your hand out flat, you both lean forward to pretend to "peck" at something... My DH's joke, I thought it was cute! (LOL shows how easily amused I am).

I do love the looks of those silver and Lemon D's. Nice colors! I put a few D' eggs into the bator this afternoon, I hope they do well.

Doug, I'm sure glad I have my D's inside, the 2 std Cochin's that are housed together (big boys) because I was worried about the humidity in the hen house bothering them, I put them in a better ventilated house and one has 1/2 way up the wattles blueish, just a line. Tonight, call it to late, I put a low watt bulb in with them and closed them in without a heated waterer. I feel horrible and wonder about others birds, like you southern folks that your birds aren't used to this type of weather! How is the stress for you and the birds dealing with it all?
(This is the first time I've had any issues with frost bite!)

Keep everyone warm you southern (from here) and Northern (from here) !​

JustAChickenLittle&More :

Gypsy, I hear ya on the high humidity. I talked to the guy I bought a new incubator from. He sells on ebay. I asked him about where to put the water as it has two places one in the middle (smaller) and then a larger on the bottom near the outside rim. It is circular! He told me to fill both of them up. I did and got the best hatch I've had in a while. So, I don't know.

This sounds odd but I use a catfood can for added humidity and place either marbles or usually papertowel in it, then if a bird get on top, they wont drown and those that hatched the earliest usually will drink from it-Use a hand can opener to dull the edges or duct tape. (sorry for double post)​

Quote:
Looks simular to our Shepard Hound cross. He just loves it.
We currently carry 10 X 1 Gal waterers to the 9 different coops that we have. It is getting a little more each day.
Cant wait for spring and more eggs.

We have had some mille's that the pattern did not appear till the 5 month stage. I almost got rid of one at 3 months because of it but he has grown out to be a good looking boy in my opinion.

Hang in there ...dont cull to early, ESPECIALLY this time of year. I like to make my "final cut" around 12 to 16wks of age, but sometimes a bit longer on birds who are shower to Maturity. Several of them are a bit imature but show type and quality that I like & DO need.

Oh yeah, HD (Heavy Duity rotty) loves the rib/shoulder high snow...he scratches and rolls in it and looks like an AZZ by doing so whatta ya do...Just like a MAN (lol, THING). BUT...What do ya do
roll.png

Your temps just kill me Doug!
IMHO those birds who mature slowly and w/ color are super candidates for future BREEDING PROGRAMS. (just...ask Aubrey) But pretty sure the "strongest survive' @ hhis place too.

CYNTHIA, DOUG AND AUBREY...thank you alls for the encouragements with the SILVER program. I got a LONG road to go, but hope by next fall I have enough PURE quality BIRDS TO show and share.
roll.png
i KNOW IT'S GOING TO BE HARD TO EXHIBIT THEM IN ANY WAY, BUT I "HOPE" to someday be able to do so. I really appreciate the encouragement guys-n-gals. thANKS...i'M bllushing now (and of COURSE my laptop is NUTZ again, cant spell worth a crap. DARN COMPUTER!!)...sheesh, go figure.

Aubrey, shoot me a PM hun when time allows...Cynthia, please do the same hun
smile.png

hugs.gif
to everyone ... Misty

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, then I guess we need to discuss this further!
wink.png

Sending you a PM...

where in Virginia? I am still trying to locate some D'uccles. I live in central Va. Anyone ship?

Back
Top Bottom