D'uccle Thread

i have 29 peeps 6 mille fleur d'uccles for sale other than this wedsite and craigslist any body else know of a place to try and sell peeps? i have been trying for a few weeks know. i thought i would ask. also i would like to get some gold neck and some blue mille fleur d'uccles what's the best hatchery to get them from?

Quote:
I have my best sales at poultry shows. Check the American Bantam Association website and see if there are any shows in your area.
If you have a co-op in your area, see if they have a bulletin board where you can post sale birds. Some mom-and-pop type of feed stores also have a sale board.

Quote:
I have noticed a difference in colors vs productivity but have also noticed it is tied to stock origin. My self-blues were always my best layers when I had hatchery stock. Now that I have more heritage bloodines they are slowing down more in keeping with my millies, which were always heritage stock.

Also, the pens that get sunlight the longest every day start earlier in the spring and last longer in the fall.

Yesterday I adopted two young, sweet, beautiful D'uccle cockerels - one porcelain and one milles fleur.

My milles has tender feet. I've inspected them and it seems that he has lots of broken feathers that look sore and red at the skin where they connect. Some also seems to have that sheath on them that has become very hard but brittle and extends the distance of the whole feather.

Is there anything I can do to help him be more comfortable? Do you pull these? These are my first of this breed. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Quote:
I don't have any real solutions to this - just observations.

When I started with d'Uccles, I saw this with very young birds. I had no idea what to do.

I thought it could be mites, a lack in their diet (they were picking at each other) or something else.

Some of them were picked so badly they lost toes
sad.png

After I moved them into bigger pens, gave them really deep litter and nice high perches, they seemed to stop picking and forget about those pesky feathers on their feet.

Oh, and I used the bluecote spray (it's yellow)to cover the red spots, since blood or red attracts picking.

I'm not sure what you mean. As of yesterday they were running free on a farm with many different surfaces. For a few days they are in a HW waterer with pine pellets in quarantine. I will move them out into our giant, fenced garden with two coops and dirt and pellets as the surface.

In the mean time, I'm wondering what I can do to help him. Do I leave the feathers alone? Do I pull them? Should we soak his feet? Is there an ointment or some type of treatment? Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Quote:
What causes this issue. My D'Uccles have sand in their run, will it cause the same problem?

Thanks for the tip. I have some blue cote. I think I'll wash the boys, dust them, blue up their pretty toes and see how it goes. They'll have lots of room and no longer have to hide from big alpha roos. It's just them and lots of girls. What darlings they are. Thank you again.

Quote:
I don't have any real solutions to this - just observations.

When I started with d'Uccles, I saw this with very young birds. I had no idea what to do.

I thought it could be mites, a lack in their diet (they were picking at each other) or something else.

Some of them were picked so badly they lost toes
sad.png

After I moved them into bigger pens, gave them really deep litter and nice high perches, they seemed to stop picking and forget about those pesky feathers on their feet.

Oh, and I used the bluecote spray (it's yellow)to cover the red spots, since blood or red attracts picking.

Back
Top Bottom