BlueLovesBabyDucks

In the Brooder
May 11, 2019
My duck is acting terrified of me all of a sudden and I have no idea why? Shes a little over 6 weeks, and when I came home from work today she was being just... Weird. I came home earlier than I normally do, but otherwise nothing to my knowledge happened while I was gone. We have a giant box to keep her in while I'm at work, her food hasnt changed, and she has plenty of water and is getting vitamins(yes including niacin) everyday. She freaks out if I move my hand to pet her, runs away from me, is barely pooping(and the poops she does have are dry), and is being incredibly reserved and quiet. This is a complete 180! Shes a total lap duck who cant stand to be away from me, and shes super vocal nornally, but in 4 hours it's like she doesnt even like me anymore! I need advice please, I'm very worried about her. She seems to be shrieking out of fear when I pick her up now, and I dont see any noticeable wounds. What happened to my baby?

My duck is acting terrified of me all of a sudden and I have no idea why? Shes a little over 6 weeks, and when I came home from work today she was being just... Weird. I came home earlier than I normally do, but otherwise nothing to my knowledge happened while I was gone. We have a giant box to keep her in while I'm at work, her food hasnt changed, and she has plenty of water and is getting vitamins(yes including niacin) everyday. She freaks out if I move my hand to pet her, runs away from me, is barely pooping(and the poops she does have are dry), and is being incredibly reserved and quiet. This is a complete 180! Shes a total lap duck who cant stand to be away from me, and shes super vocal nornally, but in 4 hours it's like she doesnt even like me anymore! I need advice please, I'm very worried about her. She seems to be shrieking out of fear when I pick her up now, and I dont see any noticeable wounds. What happened to my baby?
I don't know but I bet @Miss Lydia will have some ideas for you in the morning!

I am a fairly new duck owner mine are nine weeks. About 2 weeks ago Ethel, could not keep up outside so I gently herded her, then notice she wouldn't eat treats and only drank a little, on way back to pen she layed down in grass and started sqwauking . She relaxed when I picked her up I put back in broader box alone. Gave her about 2/3 dropper mineral oil then mixed coconut oil in her food. She started pooping fine the next day. So the following morning I put back with pals and they a long chat about I put her in jail.

I was just thinking along the lines of Lucyspals too. Constipation can cause attitude and pain and such just as a UTI does. I would give coconut oil also. If she won't munch on it herself, mixing it with her food is good too. You might consider pulling her food for a bit to encourage her to drink more and/or enjoy the oil. I do also agree Miss Lydia will likely have the best options and answers. Good luck! I am sure your baby will come around nicely. You are a good mommy to know your duckling so well and jump right in when concerned!!

Do you only have one duck? One of mine acted similarly when she had to be separated from her sisters around the same age (she was special needs and blind in one eye due to infection when we got her and have to be separated a couple of times). Ducks/fowl aren't solitary creatures so if you only have one, that could definitely be at least part of the problem.

What kind of vitamins and how much are you giving every day? Too much can cause abdominal pain and constipation. I may try a feed that's high in niacin and perfect for ducks such as Scratch and Peck, and give fresh peas along with it. That's been their favorite since they were little.

I give her bird drops from Walmart, just a couple, drop a in her water. I also mix her growers feed with parakeet feed, and it has niacin supplements and brewers yeast in it. Shes the only duck but not the only pet, her and my dog like to keep company. I got her as a last minute rescue so I didnt have time to plan a second duck, but at the very least I thought it would be gradual. It was like night and day. I'm going to give her coconut oil and see what happens! Shes been constipated before and I just used mineral oil, but she was much younger so i probably didnt notice her mood change.

What's in parakeet feed? If she's getting constipated regularly, she must be getting something that doesn't sit well with her little system. Does she get anything fresh? Ducks love peas, corn, kale, cucumber, strawberries, etc. (But don't give her spinach.)

Shes only been constipated once before when she was about a week old, but not since. Parakeet feed is mostly seeds and millet, I just use it to cut down on the protein in her feed tbh. She loves chopped greens and peas. For some reason she doesnt like fruit lol.

That's good that it's not a regular occurrence -- I misread that and thought the constipation was a frequent. I'd wonder if the seeds may be binding her up?

Why do you want to cut the protein? I haven't heard of that. I've only had ducks for just over a year though and am no expert.

Back
Top Bottom