BlueLovesBabyDucks

In the Brooder
May 11, 2019
My duck is acting terrified of me all of a sudden and I have no idea why? Shes a little over 6 weeks, and when I came home from work today she was being just... Weird. I came home earlier than I normally do, but otherwise nothing to my knowledge happened while I was gone. We have a giant box to keep her in while I'm at work, her food hasnt changed, and she has plenty of water and is getting vitamins(yes including niacin) everyday. She freaks out if I move my hand to pet her, runs away from me, is barely pooping(and the poops she does have are dry), and is being incredibly reserved and quiet. This is a complete 180! Shes a total lap duck who cant stand to be away from me, and shes super vocal nornally, but in 4 hours it's like she doesnt even like me anymore! I need advice please, I'm very worried about her. She seems to be shrieking out of fear when I pick her up now, and I dont see any noticeable wounds. What happened to my baby?

I am worried about the seed your feeding maybe cut it out and see if that helps with constipation. Lots of fresh water always. What are you feeding that has 25% protein? If you still have a lot of it cut it down with another feed mix in other words All flock is a good one because it has all the niacin our waterfowl need. Does she get to go outside for exercise? Another way to keep everything moving.

I'd switch to a Grower finisher feed at 16% protein and provide Grit. Ducklings at that age usually do become scared of people for a few weeks and then calm down again. I think your Duck would love to have a Duck friend.
Agreed on feed and friend! Most backyard birds WILL eat anything but feeds for different fowl are developed for what is best for their breed. Parakeet feed is not developed with outdoor water fowl nutrition and digestion in mind. Does your girl have access to fresh grasses and such? Do you feed any grit or does she gobble mud like mine? Lol

Shes fine now. I woke up, she pooped up a storm and is all lovely again. I feel like a lot of people automatically assume I dont know anything at all, which kinda sucks.

She doesnt eat mainly seeds, as I said parakeet feed is used to cut her growers feed so shes getting proper supplements, it's like cutting with oats. The seeds are incredibly small, same size as the duck feed. She eats fresh greens I chop, and grass from outside daily. Im working on making arrangements for a flock so she can be happy, I just have to reinforce a coop.
Don't take offense. I doubt anyone is judging you! It can feel that way when you ask questions or look for support...like in text you can't put emotion or intent across very easily lol.

It is likely to feel that way when trying to get info. People have to ask questions to get enough infoyto answer you fairly and accurately. Not to come down on you.

Regardless the size or amount of parakeet seed, it is not the best option for our ducks. Oats and other "cutters", used regularly/continually are not probably the best idea. That does not mean they WILL cause issues. That is to say that should issues arise, those are likely to be found as the instigator lol.

I did just as you are doing and cut greens and grass for supplements from nature too! Not only do they love it but it is what their bodies want :)

So glad she pooped! I think it is hilarious to get excited over POOP! I have 4 grown kids and now 12 chickens and 9 ducks so I can still get excited about POOP success! LMAO

It also still leaves me smh that constipation and UTIs can morph humans and animals into totally different individuals!

Anyhow...glad your girl is "back"!

Shes fine now. I woke up, she pooped up a storm and is all lovely again. I feel like a lot of people automatically assume I dont know anything at all, which kinda sucks.

She doesnt eat mainly seeds, as I said parakeet feed is used to cut her growers feed so shes getting proper supplements, it's like cutting with oats. The seeds are incredibly small, same size as the duck feed. She eats fresh greens I chop, and grass from outside daily. Im working on making arrangements for a flock so she can be happy, I just have to reinforce a coop.
So happy to hear she is her self again. Sorry if we made you feel that you don't know anything, we were only trying to help. :hugs

My duck is acting terrified of me all of a sudden and I have no idea why? Shes a little over 6 weeks, and when I came home from work today she was being just... Weird. I came home earlier than I normally do, but otherwise nothing to my knowledge happened while I was gone. We have a giant box to keep her in while I'm at work, her food hasnt changed, and she has plenty of water and is getting vitamins(yes including niacin) everyday. She freaks out if I move my hand to pet her, runs away from me, is barely pooping(and the poops she does have are dry), and is being incredibly reserved and quiet. This is a complete 180! Shes a total lap duck who cant stand to be away from me, and shes super vocal nornally, but in 4 hours it's like she doesnt even like me anymore! I need advice please, I'm very worried about her. She seems to be shrieking out of fear when I pick her up now, and I dont see any noticeable wounds. What happened to my baby?
I don't know but I bet @Miss Lydia will have some ideas for you in the morning!

I am a fairly new duck owner mine are nine weeks. About 2 weeks ago Ethel, could not keep up outside so I gently herded her, then notice she wouldn't eat treats and only drank a little, on way back to pen she layed down in grass and started sqwauking . She relaxed when I picked her up I put back in broader box alone. Gave her about 2/3 dropper mineral oil then mixed coconut oil in her food. She started pooping fine the next day. So the following morning I put back with pals and they a long chat about I put her in jail.

I was just thinking along the lines of Lucyspals too. Constipation can cause attitude and pain and such just as a UTI does. I would give coconut oil also. If she won't munch on it herself, mixing it with her food is good too. You might consider pulling her food for a bit to encourage her to drink more and/or enjoy the oil. I do also agree Miss Lydia will likely have the best options and answers. Good luck! I am sure your baby will come around nicely. You are a good mommy to know your duckling so well and jump right in when concerned!!

What's in parakeet feed? If she's getting constipated regularly, she must be getting something that doesn't sit well with her little system. Does she get anything fresh? Ducks love peas, corn, kale, cucumber, strawberries, etc. (But don't give her spinach.)

Back
Top Bottom