duck acting weird after hawk attack

chicken_fan48

Hatching
Jul 25, 2022
About 2 days ago a hawk has attacked one of my ducks, the injuries are mild, hit on the head and beak. Yesterday she would usually walk around, sometimes spinning in circles and not eating. Today she seems to be mostly sitting, eyes closed, still not eating and breathing through her mouth? while doing something weird with the beak as if there's something stuck in her mouth. I tried to check but she won't let me. I have given her water to drink and wash her nostrils.

Is there anything I could do?

Attachments

• IMG_20220817_153523.jpg
    IMG_20220817_153523.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20220817_153531.jpg
    IMG_20220817_153531.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 8
I'm sorry! Poor sweetheart.

Sounds like she got a concussion from that attack. Take her to the vet if you can, if not, isolate her so she doesn't injure herself. Keep her in a quiet place and monitor her food and water intake.

You might want to treat the wounds, so they don't get infected. We can't buy antibiotic anything here without a prescription, but I've found a product called Silver Honey, which is exactly that: silver and honey. Both natural antibiotics. I dabbed a bit on my own duck after she was attacked by what I'm assuming was a rat, and it worked wonders.

Keep us posted!

I'm sorry! Poor sweetheart.

Sounds like she got a concussion from that attack. Take her to the vet if you can, if not, isolate her so she doesn't injure herself. Keep her in a quiet place and monitor her food and water intake.

You might want to treat the wounds, so they don't get infected. We can't buy antibiotic anything here without a prescription, but I've found a product called Silver Honey, which is exactly that: silver and honey. Both natural antibiotics. I dabbed a bit on my own duck after she was attacked by what I'm assuming was a rat, and it worked wonders.

Keep us posted!
I'm likely gonna be unlucky with silver honey here in Romania but we have lard which my mother used on a duck who also got attacked by a hawk days ago and was bleeding badly (they are fine now).

The wounds on this duck seem to have healed but I notice she is feeling a bit worse than yesterday, my mom had to force fed her corn kernels and a mix of corn + wheat flour. She seems to be pooping a lime color liquid poop, inbalance and lethargic, just standing in one spot for most of the time.

Awww, poor thing. :( Make sure she gets plenty of water, make up an electrolyte solution for her if you can, so she doesn't get dehydrated. You can get the packets for it, or make your own, there are recipes online for it.

Don't try to force too much food into her. She'll need grit to help break down that corn. Do you have duck pellets? You can soften those with water (or electrolyte solution) to make sure she's getting adequate nutrition.

Alright so I decided to put it back with my ducks since I thought that it will eat on its own if he sees his buddies eat and left him with them overnight. Today he is doing better and appears to be more active, no chicken or other duck seems to have pecked his wounds so it should be ok.

Tractor supply has antibiotics. Foul and bovine. Yes you can use bovine antibiotics you have to figure out how to cut the medicine so you do not over prescribe for the duck. The doses are calculated for a 400lbe cow not a 2 lbs duck but it is the same or similar antibiotic that a vet would give for a duck. Raw Honey cream is a natural antiseptic. Also you can use a treat (Yogurt and Honey) to help with getting it into her mouth.

Back
Top Bottom