Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
We haven't really noticed any issues in baking. I think it may be the limited amount, but we don't really try it anymore.

I am not sure the intolerance is more common with chickens. There a lot of people who will not even try duck eggs. They think it is gross for some reason. I am not sure how an egg that comes out of a duck butt is any more weird than one that comes out of chicken butt. So a lot of people would never know if they can't eat duck eggs. While chicken eggs are very common. I feel bad for the people who can't eat either, which is very uncommon.
Anything that differs from the norm is considered 'gross' by a lot of people. Unfortunately. It's the main reason for so many food allergies and sensitivities, we eat too much of one thing!

I personally try to eat varied when I can. If the ducks hadn't destroyed my garden, I would have had a good variety of stuff for the winter. *sigh* Next year, fences.

I really can't imagine eating a call duck. My girl has some plump to her. But that cute face would be too hard to eat. They are not as common, so a lot of people want them.

I need to figure out what I will do with the call duck eggs. My husband is intolerant to duck eggs. I can't see selling them with our other duck eggs. Make tiny breakfast burritos maybe. 🤷
Feed them back to the birds

Random cleaning question that is not deserving of its own thread:

We are in the middle of a rainy spell, torrential rain every day and night! So much rain! This rain is going to continue for at least another week! Anyways, I try to do full clean outs of the duck run after rainy spells when I know it’s going to be dry for a bit. However, I just couldn’t wait any longer, and so I just dragged out what felt like several tons of horrid and stinky wet shavings and straw.

Now, I’m left with wet hard-packed dirt with muddier spots. I left it as-is, just replacing bedding only in the covered spots, but I don’t like that much mud and hard dirt. However, I can’t justify replacing shavings to soften and dry things up when I know the rain is going to continue!

I just worry about bumblefoot and other related foot issues.

Anyways, thoughts? I usually have a base of shavings with straw for beds. There are covered areas, but the main tarp over the top finally tore during a storm last week so the run is more exposed than usual.

Random cleaning question that is not deserving of its own thread:

We are in the middle of a rainy spell, torrential rain every day and night! So much rain! This rain is going to continue for at least another week! Anyways, I try to do full clean outs of the duck run after rainy spells when I know it’s going to be dry for a bit. However, I just couldn’t wait any longer, and so I just dragged out what felt like several tons of horrid and stinky wet shavings and straw.

Now, I’m left with wet hard-packed dirt with muddier spots. I left it as-is, just replacing bedding only in the covered spots, but I don’t like that much mud and hard dirt. However, I can’t justify replacing shavings to soften and dry things up when I know the rain is going to continue!

I just worry about bumblefoot and other related foot issues.

Anyways, thoughts? I usually have a base of shavings with straw for beds. There are covered areas, but the main tarp over the top finally tore during a storm last week so the run is more exposed than usual.
I have a (currently) half roofed and half open run. It is under oak trees and usually fairly full of leaves, sticks, and acorns. However, it is just bare dirt. Dirt from the compost of the leaves, sticks, etc. Everything around their pool (roofed portion) is compacted and hard. I've never had an issue. My ducks don't weigh 2lbs a piece though. I would assume that as long as there aren't any sharp/rough things there, they should be fine.

I have a (currently) half roofed and half open run. It is under oak trees and usually fairly full of leaves, sticks, and acorns. However, it is just bare dirt. Dirt from the compost of the leaves, sticks, etc. Everything around their pool (roofed portion) is compacted and hard. I've never had an issue. My ducks don't weigh 2lbs a piece though. I would assume that as long as there aren't any sharp/rough things there, they should be fine.
Thank you! ♥️

The one survivor from the raccoon massacre is the big one and he adopted the babies when they hatched. It is so cute. Think it’s a boy. Don’t know though. I bring them all in every night. I just carry him. He hangs his head inside the bucket the babies are being carried in until we get outside. It’s adorable. Hope we find a place to buy before they are all big enough to release. Lol. By the way I do live in Texas. Even with water the ducks will pant during the day and they are completely covered in the pen. Bobcat keeps getting adults on the pond so don’t want to release them here if possible.

Attachments

• 28695DF6-0640-4934-9AC9-04A7DC550E2D.jpeg
    28695DF6-0640-4934-9AC9-04A7DC550E2D.jpeg
    573.9 KB · Views: 3
  • ECF0B403-D16B-4CAE-B4B2-A4EA464B7DBB.jpeg
    ECF0B403-D16B-4CAE-B4B2-A4EA464B7DBB.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom