duck air sac different sizes on day 24??

Sandycheeks

Hatching
Jul 15, 2020
Hello, so this is my first hatch, I got my eggs on eBay (runner ducks) and they’ve seemingly been developing well, I see them moving around in their eggs. Tonight is day 24 (July 15) and they’re scheduled to hatch on Sunday (July 19)..
Their air sacks are quite inconsistent, like a few of them them have ones that seem the right size, a few that are too small, and a few that are huge and shaped wrong which I think is because they’re getting ready to hatch? I swear while candling one it looked like I could see his beak in the air sac, but like just the tip of it?? But I might just be a noob and not know what I’m taking about lol.. 😬

What is there to do about the inconsistency of air sac size at this stage like specifically the smaller one?? The weird shaped ones?? I’m not really sure honestly.
My incubator absolutely sucks at regulating the temperature, my house temperature fluctuates slightly all day as well and I have 3 different thermometer/hygrometer reading different numbers.. so honestly idk I really hope these babies aren’t doomed. I’ll attach some photos of some of the eggs.
I have 7 eggs total, one possibly died but everyone else is alive and active.
Ok thanks so much guys!
8EF24FDF-240D-41ED-B8A8-3647847A11F9.jpeg

1B23915F-A7FD-4CDF-B1EF-DDB411B6EB42.jpeg

98A84A1D-2971-42CD-BA6F-0E669625DDD8.jpeg
A6211A63-A468-420D-8DD2-EB6FDBEBF202.jpeg

Some of them look rather large, but may just be the saddles from shipping. When the eggs get shook around during travel, the air cell membrane shakes and pulls away from the inner membrane leaving a gap (saddle). What I try to do is picture where the main “circle” of the air cell would be, minus the saddle part that is pulled away. Candling makes it look worse than it really is, most times.

But yes, it is possible to get internal pips by day 24. Ducks take forever to hatch. They could be internally pipped for a whole day or more, then externally pipped for 2 days before fully hatching. So I think they are pretty much on track. The one pic does look further along, but could still be a slower hatcher. The last pic looks like it might have a few extra days to go. Maybe your incubator has some hotter and cooler spots?

Some of them look rather large, but may just be the saddles from shipping. When the eggs get shook around during travel, the air cell membrane shakes and pulls away from the inner membrane leaving a gap (saddle). What I try to do is picture where the main “circle” of the air cell would be, minus the saddle part that is pulled away. Candling makes it look worse than it really is, most times.

But yes, it is possible to get internal pips by day 24. Ducks take forever to hatch. They could be internally pipped for a whole day or more, then externally pipped for 2 days before fully hatching. So I think they are pretty much on track. The one pic does look further along, but could still be a slower hatcher. The last pic looks like it might have a few extra days to go. Maybe your incubator has some hotter and cooler spots?

Thank you! That puts me at ease. They all look about the same today, I’m supposed to start lockdown tomorrow. Is it okay that some are farther along? The others won’t suffer from not being turned right?

Thank you! That puts me at ease. They all look about the same today, I’m supposed to start lockdown tomorrow. Is it okay that some are farther along? The others won’t suffer from not being turned right?

Nah, totally fine. Once they are this far along, turning is a lot less critical. Some folks stop turning once the blood vessels spread all the way around the egg.
Although, I’d check them one more time tonight before going to bed. If any have broken through the membrane, and you see action in the air cell, you want to add water right away.
Please let us know how it goes!

I read for ducks during lockdown in increase the humidity to 70-80% and I had mine around 70 all of yesterday and this morning the incubator has condensation inside and some drops of water on the eggs, I’m guessing from drips from the roof? Is this ok? I just lowered the humidity a bit without moving the eggs.. 😳

I read for ducks during lockdown in increase the humidity to 70-80% and I had mine around 70 all of yesterday and this morning the incubator has condensation inside and some drops of water on the eggs, I’m guessing from drips from the roof? Is this ok? I just lowered the humidity a bit without moving the eggs.. 😳
My personal opinion is that 70-80% is too high, unless it got that way due to the eggs hatching. Each time one hatches, the RH will spike for a while. Otherwise, I hatch around 60-65%. If I had condensation, I would definitely lower the RH a little. I’d lift the top for a second or two and let some of that out.

My personal opinion is that 70-80% is too high, unless it got that way due to the eggs hatching. Each time one hatches, the RH will spike for a while. Otherwise, I hatch around 60-65%. If I had condensation, I would definitely lower the RH a little. I’d lift the top for a second or two and let some of that out.
Ok thank you!

Back
Top Bottom