Duck Amoxicillin Dose?

Emily 124

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 10, 2016
D2E39C1C-167B-42E1-9BF8-A677B19E479F.jpeg

134098F3-552F-4EF0-B7F1-4C8C916F510F.png

How much of this should I give to a duck and how often? And how should I give it to her.
I’ve been treating a duck’s wounds for over a month, I’ve taken it to the vet twice. The most recent time I asked them to check the wounds and see how they looked and if I should give it any antibiotics. It had a bit of infection before and was starting to feel warm again, but the vet told me everything was fine this time.
I’m never able to talk to the vet directly and ask them what I want because of Covid, I have to sit in n the car while they take it in.
When I got the duck home I checked it’s wounds which are still pretty deep, and it had scabbed over a bit inside and there was some really foul smelling stuff behind it. I cleaned it out and removed it and it seemed to be doing better but it is starting to feel really warm again. I don’t know what to do I can’t afford to keep taking this duck to the vet, it’s a duck we found in a driveway that had probably been attacked by dogs, I don’t even want the duck but I keep wasting money taking it to the vet, and the vet hasn’t been much help.
I got this pill at a feed store, I had asked if they had any antibiotics I could give to a duck. I feel like the lady was not supposed to give it to me or something, maybe I was supposed to have a prescription? I was just really confused because she just opened to bottle and gave me the one pill and she didn’t really give me very clear instructions on how to give it to the duck. She said mix it with 5 gallons of water but that just seems ???? The duck is not going to drink much of that and probably won’t get much of the medicine in it that way.
I tried to read up about it on this site but I can never find a clear answer.
Can anyone tell me what I should do?
I’m just really worried about the duck because I seems way to warm, it seems like it’s doing better overall but I’m really afraid of that wound being infected, it’s just so deep I can’t tell.

You will need to provide 1 source of water, maybe a gallon sized bucket. She told you 1 capsule per 5 gallons of water. Open the capsule over a plate. Pour the contents into the plate. Divide it into 5 equal portions (eyeball it). Every day, pour out yesterday's water from the bucket, and add 1 gallon of fresh water, then mix in 1 portion of the medicine. Do this for the 5 days.

Sorry to hear about your duck.

There are a couple of things she told you that are false, one being is to administer the amoxicillin via water, this is just a plain bad idea since amoxicillin has the taste equivalent to vomit, so its very unlikely the bird will drink from the dish, and if you’re only providing one dish, you might end up with a dehydrated bird which in the case of infection could easily be fatal. The other problem is how many pills you have, just one is not going to do the full course of treatment, therefore, not all the bacteria will be killed in the process, and whatever is left will gain resistance to amoxicillin.

The duck has some serious problems that need to be addressed as soon as possible, with efficiency, so a vet would really be the best line of action here. It sounds like your current vet isn’t doing the best job, so maybe you could give us your general location and we might be able to find a good one near you.

If not, that’s ok, and we’ll try to help further.

Just for reference, the amoxicillin dose is *57mg per pound orally twice a day*. The duck looks a little underweight, so maybe she's around five pounds or so.

So, if you calculate it up, the pill would only last her a day. I believe you want to run a course of seven-ten days.

Her weight from the last trip should be on your paperwork. Figure out what she weighs and give it like @Isaac 0 said. Go back to the feed store and get more pills. Do not give it in water, give it orally.

I look and it said she weighed 4.6 pounds

If the feed store lady isn't willing to sell you any more, you also can get some online in a fish/bird form. Shipping may take some time though.

If she weighs 4.6 pounds.

Take one 500mg capsule, and thoroughly mix in with 10ml of water( It won't dissolve into the water very well/at all)) so make sure to shake during the whole process so the powder is distributed somewhat evenly.

You will be left with a mixture that contains 50mg of amoxicillin per ml. She needs around 260mg of amoxicillin twice daily so you would give her around *5.2ml twice daily*.

Here is a link regarding administering oral medications,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

An online source of amoxicillin,

https://fishmoxfishflex.com/products/fish-mox-forte-amoxicillin-500-mg-capsules-30-count

If the feed store lady isn't willing to sell you any more, you also can get some online in a fish/bird form. Shipping may take some time though.

If she weighs 4.6 pounds.

Take one 500mg capsule, and thoroughly mix in with 10ml of water( It won't dissolve into the water very well/at all)) so make sure to shake during the whole process so the powder is distributed somewhat evenly.

You will be left with a mixture that contains 50mg of amoxicillin per ml. She needs around 260mg of amoxicillin twice daily so you would give her around *5.2ml twice daily*.

Here is a link regarding administering oral medications,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

An online source of amoxicillin,

https://fishmoxfishflex.com/products/fish-mox-forte-amoxicillin-500-mg-capsules-30-count
Thank you, I will try to get some more and do this, this was very helpful

Back
Top Bottom