Duck Antibiotics? (Prolapsed Penis)

Very proud of you for doing this, and yes for explaining what had to be done. Please keep us updated on how he is doing. And hoping for quick recovery!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for even telling me that this can happen. I would freak out to the max if this would happen to one of my ducks.

Thank you so much for the support everyone. I have to admit it was a tough thing to do. He really is a very sweet duck, and I hope he heals well. He seems to be doing pretty good this morning. I appreciate the nice comments.

I am still interested in finding out about the antibiotics if anyone has any info on that. I have 2 Pekins, 2 Rouens and the 2 Cayugas we just took in. I would love to know what to give in the event they ever need anything.

GotAnyGwapes? :

Thank you so much for the support everyone. I have to admit it was a tough thing to do. He really is a very sweet duck, and I hope he heals well. He seems to be doing pretty good this morning. I appreciate the nice comments.

I am still interested in finding out about the antibiotics if anyone has any info on that. I have 2 Pekins, 2 Rouens and the 2 Cayugas we just took in. I would love to know what to give in the event they ever need anything.

this may help... http://www.liveducks.com/health.html

Just wanted to give an update on Flip, the no-longer penis prolapsed duck. He has healed quite well and is doing great and quite healthy. He has even been seen trying to have relations with his mate though I do not know how successful he will be with that. I just thought is would be good to post something for someone's future reference if they are having the same trouble with their boy. It is not a fun procedure to do but I am so glad I did it. We have a fine and healthy boy now.

this situation is pretty common and usualyl happens due to too much breeding ambition ect... usually found in the smaller ducks such as calls. he should be fine but fertility may now be an issue.

OH MY.. that would be the most horred thing ever
sad.png

poor little guy.. thank you for sharing everything.. its always nice to know what to do when this kinda thing happens..

now with that said you can take some antibiotic ointment and nuke it in the microwave for a little bit until it gets oily.. then drench a cotton ball with it and dab the area
smile.png

I don't think the duck's penis is very sensitive. My only regret with my poor boy (who is now 7 yrs old and doing splendidly!) is that we waited so long, he took more damage while we waited. We had to cut so much that he was never fertile. I found it emotionally really hard, but should it happen again, I will toughen myself up, remembering he was happier with it trimmed than dragging and getting damaged. Fortunately it's not nearly as bad for the duck as it sounds, they are not the same as mammals. Nor is there much blood supply. Still.... not fun.

GotAnyGwapes? :

Just wanted to give an update on Flip, the no-longer penis prolapsed duck. He has healed quite well and is doing great and quite healthy. He has even been seen trying to have relations with his mate though I do not know how successful he will be with that. I just thought is would be good to post something for someone's future reference if they are having the same trouble with their boy. It is not a fun procedure to do but I am so glad I did it. We have a fine and healthy boy now.

Thanks for letting us know how well he's doing. Great news for sure.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom