Duck attacked by a raccoon

Martrnn

Chirping
Oct 14, 2021
Hi guys. An hour ago my 8 week old Muscovy was attacked by a raccoon. I ran out and kicked the hell out of it but it got away. My duck has a small hole in its head but is however conscious. I cleaned the wound and ran warm saline water over the wound. He is however too weak to stand or drink/eat. He’s not even strong enough to lift his head. One of his eye is fully shut and the other one is halfway open but he’s still breathing. What can I do?
Thanks

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
How is your little Muscovy this morning @Martrnn ? Hopefully shock is wearing off. While in shock its best to just let it rest, keep warm and have food and water close by but don't force anything. Once shock wears off as long as there aren't serious injuries the duckling should begin to drink and eat. it sure doesn't hurt to give an antibiotic since bite wounds carry alot of bacteria.

Last edited:

Martrnn

Chirping
Oct 14, 2021
How is your little Muscovy this morning @Martrnn ? Hopefully shock is wearing off. While in shock its best to just let it rest, keep warm and have food and water close by but don't force anything. Once shock wears off as long as there aren't serious injuries the duckling should begin to drink and eat. it sure doesn't hurt to give an antibiotic since bite wounds carry alot of bacteria.
Thanks so much for the concern guys. His breathing is much more calm and paced now. However he still has not woken up yet. You can hear him breathing and his eyes open a bit when he sees someone. I will wait a few more hours and keep you guys updated.

Martrnn

Chirping
Oct 14, 2021
Hey guys. Been a little busy that I forgot to update. I’ve been tube feeding him twice a day to get 70ml total and he’s doing awesome! Just yesterday he hopped out of his bed and pooped all over the house haha. His neck seems to be improving slowly as he’s able to reach for things with his neck now. He won’t eat by himself yet but would try to drink water.

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
I agree with waiting for the shock to wear off. Think of it like a person who just got attacked in their home...food is probably the last thing on their mind. Clean puncture wounds actually tend to heal very fast, but infection will be your biggest concern. I also agree with the topical antibiotic ointment, a poultry supplement and an oral antibiotic. Flush the wound first with Chlorhexidine, iodine or a saline solution before applying any ointment. Tube feeding supplies are always good to have on hand, however unless his throat neck is injured or there is some other severe injury going on your duck more then likely is simply not eating from shock. However, if he isn't eating at all by tomorrow morning then I would consider tube feeding. If he is starting to eat even just a little by tomorrow I would wait on tube feeding.

Martrnn

Chirping
Oct 14, 2021
Sorry to hear that. Keep him isolated in a warm area, maybe even provide a heat lamp. He's most likely in shock.
Can you post pics of the injuries?
F51F6B1D-8096-4BD6-A615-B59BE41FE26B.jpeg
6F2485A1-2515-43CD-8ACB-8539F5509FF3.jpeg
BACFF619-4857-4B98-91BE-C1B70DD698D3.jpeg

Top Bottom