Duck attacked by a raccoon

Pics
I should also say you do have the risk of unseen throat injuries getting worse like astro duck mentioned. So you will have to decide what you rather risk.

Not sure if I explained it well. Before you tube feed you will need to tube fluids down first. From what it sounds like, I would personally tube fluids.

Things you can look for as signs of dehydration is sunken eyes, dry and wrinkly skin, dry mouth. You can also pinch some of it's skin where there is no feathers; and if takes longer than a second to go back smoothly, then he is dehydrated.
Thanks for the reply. It’s hard for me to see his skin because his feathers are so thick. Also his eyes are injured so I can’t tell if they are sunken or not. He is trying to spread his oils around his feathers right now so I hope that’s a good sign.

I should also say you do have the risk of unseen throat injuries getting worse like astro duck mentioned. So you will have to decide what you rather risk.
Do you know how I could examine and find throat injuries? And also, what do you mean why what I would rather risk?

Do you know how I could examine and find throat injuries? And also, what do you mean why what I would rather risk?
Him getting too dehydrated or potentially causing further throat injury. I don't know of a way to be certain. You may be able to look into his mouth and see a swollen throat and/or redness. I am guessing a vet would not be possible till Monday. But a vet could administer iv fluids.

Thanks for the reply. It’s hard for me to see his skin because his feathers are so thick. Also his eyes are injured so I can’t tell if they are sunken or not. He is trying to spread his oils around his feathers right now so I hope that’s a good sign.

If he is still moving around decently, that is a good sign. If you see him become more lethargic, that is a warning sign.

Him getting too dehydrated or potentially causing further throat injury. I don't know of a way to be certain. You may be able to look into his mouth and see a swollen throat and/or redness. I am guessing a vet would not be possible till Monday. But a vet could administer iv fluids.

If he is still moving around decently, that is a good sign. If you see him become more lethargic, that is a warning sign.
Thanks for the response. He’s been sleeping most of the day. Rarely moving. But he’s a tiny bit more active today (standing up, stretching)

Hey guys. Quick update. I gave him a quick bath today and got some food inside of him. I didn’t tube feed him but put food into the syringe and squeezed some in his mouth and he ate it. It took him some time to swallow but at least he ate something. Unfortunately I was only able to get 4ml of food inside of him (rice, eggs, egg shell, water, brown sugar All blended together). He drank a good amount of water today though.

I would think that would be a no unless the instructions said to mix it because you can't be sure if the duckling gets the correct dosage. What type of antibiotic do you have?
I have amoxicillin powder. It saids I have to give 17.4 mg per kg of the duck.

There are different antibiotics to treat different ailments. Have you researched amoxicillin - its mainly used to treat bacterial infections.

Back
Top Bottom