Duck attacked by a raccoon

If he is moving around a lot I would try putting him outside with his buddies for a little bit. Spending time outside may encourage his appetite. Hopefully you can get him to eat on his own. If he is drinking fine, but not eating, then he might be able to go a bit longer without tube feeding. But if he continues to not eat, he will need tube feeding.

The fact that he doesn't hold his head up much does concern me, because it could be a sign of reduced nutrition. With him swimming around and being so active makes me think it could also be just the neck injury. I would consider adding some vitamin E into his diet to help his neck strengthen. It is usually used for wry neck, and it won't hurt him. Herbs contain vitamin E. Here are some good choices : cayenne pepper, oregano, basil, sage, thyme, parsley, cloves, cumin, caraway, cinnamon, marjoram, and turmeric.
Thanks very much. I would let him roam outside with his buddy but right now during this season in Canada, a lot of their predators come out at unpredictable times so I leave them all inside for around 7 hours. I’m in school all day so no one can watch them and I have yet to catch this stinkin raccoon. I have bought the trap cage but haven’t had the time to set it up yet. Usually I let them outside in the morning for an hour, then let them play all day with my supervision. I’ll definitely add vitamin E to his diet. His neck and eye seems to be healing well. He looks a lot happier today.

Thanks very much. I would let him roam outside with his buddy but right now during this season in Canada, a lot of their predators come out at unpredictable times so I leave them all inside for around 7 hours. I’m in school all day so no one can watch them and I have yet to catch this stinkin raccoon. I have bought the trap cage but haven’t had the time to set it up yet. Usually I let them outside in the morning for an hour, then let them play all day with my supervision. I’ll definitely add vitamin E to his diet. His neck and eye seems to be healing well. He looks a lot happier today.
Understandable. If he is spending time indoors with his buddy, that should be enough. It sounds like he is well on the mend. Hopefully he will start eating soon. If his mood is improving there is a good chance he will start soon.

Understandable. If he is spending time indoors with his buddy, that should be enough. It sounds like he is well on the mend. Hopefully he will start eating soon. If his mood is improving there is a good chance he will start soon.
Ah ok starting tomorrow I’ll put his buddy inside. I’ve read from somewhere that other ducks may poke another ducks eye if they find it odd. Should I be worried about this? Also I think his mood is improving decently. I just caught him try to jump out of his little box to explore. Im super happy about that. I’m going to find a stuffed animal so he could have some “company” for now.

You can separate them but allow them to see each other if you are worried. They are very social and seeing their friend can be medicine all of its own. They are brooder mates, so it is less likely the other one will poke at him. It is still possible though.

That is great that he is jumping around!

You can separate them but allow them to see each other if you are worried. They are very social and seeing their friend can be medicine all of its own. They are brooder mates, so it is less likely the other one will poke at him. It is still possible though.

That is great that he is jumping around!
Ah thanks for letting me know. Will update tomorrow

Hey guys so quick update. His neck is good! Today his neck is almost straight up when he does everything. Also that liquid from his eye isn’t releasing as much anymore. However, he will still refuse to eat and is a bit lethargic still. He still sleeps a lot. Only time he is active is when it’s bath time. Do you think I should try and feed him or go another day without food?

I'm glad to hear that his neck is doing good. @Quatie seems to come on later and they seem to know about tube feeding. I do agree with leaving food for the duckling to eat whenever it chooses. But, again maybe you are already doing that. If its eating anything that's a good sign. Is the duckling still drinking?

Have you tried leaving food in with him? He might pick at it? Just a suggestion or you might've already done that. Can't remember.
I'm glad to hear that his neck is doing good. @Quatie seems to come on later and they seem to know about tube feeding. I do agree with leaving food for the duckling to eat whenever it chooses. But, again maybe you are already doing that. If its eating anything that's a good sign. Is the duckling still drinking?
Yep I always leave a bowl of food and water for him. And yes he is still drinking.

It sounds like he is recouping well, but the fact that he is still not eating is does worry me. With how young he is and how important nutrients are to his growth, I would tube feed him. I would also assume he is not getting enough water either, since eating encourages a lot of their drinking.

Did he spend any time with his buddy? I think that is your best bet to getting him to eat on his own.

Back
Top Bottom