Duck attacked by a raccoon

It sounds like he is recouping well, but the fact that he is still not eating is does worry me. With how young he is and how important nutrients are to his growth, I would tube feed him. I would also assume he is not getting enough water either, since eating encourages a lot of their drinking.

Did he spend any time with his buddy? I think that is your best bet to getting him to eat on his own.
Yes I was outside with him and his buddy for about an hour today. He walked around for a bit and looked around but didn’t eat but did drink a bit. Do you think he can go another night without food. I don’t want to try and force him by opening his bill again. He doesn’t like it at all ☹️

It is really hard to say for sure. You are getting close to 1 week essentially without food and ducks can potentially deteriorate quickly. While they hate tube feeding and it is stressful for both of you the first time, it is better than loosing your duck. I can say that from personal experience. I would get a family member or friend to help you with it. It helps a lot the first time. Tube feeding only last a minute or two. You slide the tube down into their throat, and pump fluids in. 1-2 hours later you do it again, but you pump the food in. It is stress on the animal for a few minutes, which is well worth their life. It will take a bit more time the first time, making sure he is breathing, and such.

It is really hard to say for sure. You are getting close to 1 week essentially without food and ducks can potentially deteriorate quickly. While they hate tube feeding and it is stressful for both of you the first time, it is better than loosing your duck. I can say that from personal experience. I would get a family member or friend to help you with it. It helps a lot the first time. Tube feeding only last a minute or two. You slide the tube down into their throat, and pump fluids in. 1-2 hours later you do it again, but you pump the food in. It is stress on the animal for a few minutes, which is well worth their life. It will take a bit more time the first time, making sure he is breathing, and such.
Let me see if I can at least get some food in him right now. I’ve got no one to help me tube feed him right now. I was able to feed him I think 70ml in the span of 3 days. hopefully that helped

It has definitely helped and is far better than nothing. It is just always hard to say how long they can last that way.

Have you weighed him so you know how much to feed him? If not, I usually weigh myself. Then I weigh myself while holding the duck and then subtract the difference.

I will say the up side about tube feeding, is they start feeling more energetic. Down side is they start feeling better and have the energy to fight you.

It has definitely helped and is far better than nothing. It is just always hard to say how long they can last that way.

Have you weighed him so you know how much to feed him? If not, I usually weigh myself. Then I weigh myself while holding the duck and then subtract the difference.

I will say the up side about tube feeding, is they start feeling more energetic. Down side is they start feeling better and have the energy to fight you.
I just weighed him but it says he’s 0 pounds. I think my scale may just be faulty. I don’t think I’ll be able to tube feed him today but I definitely will give it a shot tomorrow. I try to use the syringe to squirt food into his mouth but he would fight it.

I just weighed him but it says he’s 0 pounds. I think my scale may just be faulty. I don’t think I’ll be able to tube feed him today but I definitely will give it a shot tomorrow. I try to use the syringe to squirt food into his mouth but he would fight it.
If you weighed just him, it may not register the weight. Some don't go that low, which is why i hold the duck while weighing them. I have also found some of the digital scales vary depending on how you stand on them. I can lose or gain weight in seconds just but standing differently on the scale.

Best of luck with the tube feeding. I know it is a bit nerve wracking the first time. Watch some videos of tube feeding and take it slow, and I am sure you will do fine.

If you weighed just him, it may not register the weight. Some don't go that low, which is why i hold the duck while weighing them. I have also found some of the digital scales vary depending on how you stand on them. I can lose or gain weight in seconds just but standing differently on the scale.

Best of luck with the tube feeding. I know it is a bit nerve wracking the first time. Watch some videos of tube feeding and take it slow, and I am sure you will do fine.
Thank you. I’ll need the luck ☺️ I just hope he will be okay by the time I get home from school to tube feed him. And I have a test tomorrow. So stressful 😕 I definitely would stay home to take care of him but obviously my parents wouldn’t allow that

Hi so I just tried to tube feed him but failed because he was fighting so much. Is there any way to calm him down? I try to open his bill and he will instantly pull his neck back stronger each time.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I've never had to tube feed one of my ducks, but I know it's always a possibility and I would be super nervous about it.

I don't know if you've already found this thread, but it seems helpful. Reading it made me feel like I could tube feed a duck if I had to.

I really hope your duck recovers.

Hi so I just tried to tube feed him but failed because he was fighting so much. Is there any way to calm him down? I try to open his bill and he will instantly pull his neck back stronger each time.
Yeah. They are going to fight you and you just need to learn to restrain them well. So when I do it, I put their back towards me and straddle it a bit. That way I can hold it's neck and head against me. I hold on to the base of the beak and don't let go. I pry open their beak and put my thumb and pointer just inside the beak to hold it open. If I am doing it alone, that will allow me then to use my other hand and put the tube down the throat. Hopefully you have someone helping you. If not, ask, because you really need someone to help you. It makes it easier when one can focus on restraint and the other can focus on the tube.

Some people also like to wrap the duck up, like in a towel or pillow case.

I also think you need help because this really needs to be done twice a day. If you can't, your parents should be doing it then when you can't. I would get them involved in the tube feeding, if you haven't.

Back
Top Bottom