Duck attacked by a raccoon

Yeah. They are going to fight you and you just need to learn to restrain them well. So when I do it, I put their back towards me and straddle it a bit. That way I can hold it's neck and head against me. I hold on to the base of the beak and don't let go. I pry open their beak and put my thumb and pointer just inside the beak to hold it open. If I am doing it alone, that will allow me then to use my other hand and put the tube down the throat. Hopefully you have someone helping you. If not, ask, because you really need someone to help you. It makes it easier when one can focus on restraint and the other can focus on the tube.

Some people also like to wrap the duck up, like in a towel or pillow case.

I also think you need help because this really needs to be done twice a day. If you can't, your parents should be doing it then when you can't. I would get them involved in the tube feeding, if you haven't.
Yeah I did have help from my parents. Just a bit worried. Let me try wrapping him up in a towel. Also I will be home for 3 days straight so I’ll make sure he has plenty of food. Since he’s lost so much food, would it be ok to over feed him a little bit?

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I've never had to tube feed one of my ducks, but I know it's always a possibility and I would be super nervous about it.

I don't know if you've already found this thread, but it seems helpful. Reading it made me feel like I could tube feed a duck if I had to.

I really hope your duck recovers.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. He’s doing much better than before ☺️

Yeah I did have help from my parents. Just a bit worried. Let me try wrapping him up in a towel. Also I will be home for 3 days straight so I’ll make sure he has plenty of food. Since he’s lost so much food, would it be ok to over feed him a little bit?
That is great that they are helping! I completely understand the worry. It is nerve wracking the first time.

No you want to start slow. You do 14ml per lb. His crop is going to need time to adjust having food in it again. You slowly increase the amount of food each day. If you want, you can do it 3 times a day.

That is great that they are helping! I completely understand the worry. It is nerve wracking the first time.

No you want to start slow. You do 14ml per lb. His crop is going to need time to adjust having food in it again. You slowly increase the amount of food each day. If you want, you can do it 3 times a day.
Got it. Thanks. Also for the Vitamin E, I will be using thyme, can ducks eat the stem as well? I am planing on blending everything up

Thanks for letting me know. So I followed the tutorial and gave him Gatorade. 30ml. Poor guy was so scared. Thank gosh it’s over lol. I’m going to wait a few hours and come back to feed him with food if he poos
Great job! Tube feeding is one of the more challenging things to do. No one on either side is usually happy about the experience, but it is worthwhile in the end.

Back
Top Bottom