3llagr4ce

Hatching
Dec 3, 2022
My duck was attacked by a fox last night but luckily I heard and was able to get out in time, she has barley any injuries it just looks like feathers were pulled out and she has one injury under her wing which looks like a patch of skin that’s quite sore

I kept her inside last night and washed her injuries with a saline solution and gave her a warm bath and kept her isolated, this morning she’s eating and drinking and has perked up a little but has become really stressed she isn’t with the rest of our ducks, she was in shock last night and I’ve let her out because I don’t want to increase her stress
Im really unsure of what to do I’ve read a lot of information contradicting itself online and I’m really stressing on how to deal with this and make sure she’s okay.

Any advice would be really appreciated

Flock animals recover so much better when allowed to be with their pals. It's more stressful when they are kept from their flock.

Give her a nice drink of electrolytes with added sugar to counter any residual shock from the attack, and then return her to her flock. Continue to provide the electrolyte water for the next 24 hours. The others can drink it, too.

Be sure to keep an antibiotic ointment on her wounds until they heal. She's a lucky ducky to have survived.

Flock animals recover so much better when allowed to be with their pals. It's more stressful when they are kept from their flock.

Give her a nice drink of electrolytes with added sugar to counter any residual shock from the attack, and then return her to her flock. Continue to provide the electrolyte water for the next 24 hours. The others can drink it, too.

Be sure to keep an antibiotic ointment on her wounds until they heal. She's a lucky ducky to have survived.
Heard her cry and ran straight down so luckily got there just as it arrived I think, and Thankyou so much for the advice I’m a first time duck owner and don’t know what to trust on Google !
What antibiotic treatment would you recommend ? Been trying to order one for next day deliver since we don’t own any but want to make sure I get one that’s safe for her.
I brought her in for a warm bath just to soak the wounds and I’m going to let her back outside, only concern was it’s so cold over here and didn’t want it to effect the healing process

Again Thankyou so much for all your advice it’s really appreciated :)

She shouldn't need an oral antibiotic unless the wounds are deep or are puncture wounds. Any wound ointment that is antibacterial such as Neosporin will be fine.

What is your location? City, state, or province will do. Not every locale permits the purchase of antibiotics unfortunately. Some require you to get a prescription from a vet. This goes for countries all over the world. Some are very permissive and others, like Canada make it impossible.

Back
Top Bottom