Duck Behavior: Timid, curious hen

Feb 19, 2023
This is a silly post but I am hoping someone may have an idea of what my hen is up to.

I rescued a white hybrid, she’s likely about a year old now. We got her with 3 other ducks her age, all around 8 months at the time. Very sweet ducks but fearful and timid. I do not mind. I respect their boundaries and we coexist happily.

But then there is the white hybrid in question, Iggy. Iggy does not seem to fit in with her friends as well and is often on her own. She does not seem to be bullied or mistreated, just a bit more independent. Recently, I have caught her following me from a safe distance, anytime she can. But then she just stops a yard away and stares at me. And she doesn’t stop.

It doesn’t help that she’s a bit freaky (in a cute way). She’s this skinny little thing with these massive black eyes. I call her Bug because she is so bug eyed. And her bug eyes are freaking me out by staring at me all the time.

She’s still fearful, so if i turn around too quick or take a step toward her, she flees. Only to come back moments later to stare at me. And sometimes she will just stare at me from a distance. She’s haunting me. Every time I turn around, there is this maybe 3 pound duck with the worlds biggest eyes just staring at me. She will find me, wherever I am, to stare at me.

In all seriousness, I’m not actually freaked out by her. It is very cute. A bit odd but I find it sweet. However, she is weirdly infatuated in what I am doing for a duck who doesn’t care to interact with me. So I am wondering what she may be up to?

Should I try to bond with her more? Is she plotting against me? I am unsure. I don’t mind the small bug eyed shadow, but I do wish I knew what she wanted. I would absolutely love to form a better relationship and I can’t tell if this is a possible invitation or if she’s keeping tabs on me hahah.

I don’t know, let me know what you think!

This is a silly post but I am hoping someone may have an idea of what my hen is up to.

I rescued a white hybrid, she’s likely about a year old now. We got her with 3 other ducks her age, all around 8 months at the time. Very sweet ducks but fearful and timid. I do not mind. I respect their boundaries and we coexist happily.

But then there is the white hybrid in question, Iggy. Iggy does not seem to fit in with her friends as well and is often on her own. She does not seem to be bullied or mistreated, just a bit more independent. Recently, I have caught her following me from a safe distance, anytime she can. But then she just stops a yard away and stares at me. And she doesn’t stop.

It doesn’t help that she’s a bit freaky (in a cute way). She’s this skinny little thing with these massive black eyes. I call her Bug because she is so bug eyed. And her bug eyes are freaking me out by staring at me all the time.

She’s still fearful, so if i turn around too quick or take a step toward her, she flees. Only to come back moments later to stare at me. And sometimes she will just stare at me from a distance. She’s haunting me. Every time I turn around, there is this maybe 3 pound duck with the worlds biggest eyes just staring at me. She will find me, wherever I am, to stare at me.

In all seriousness, I’m not actually freaked out by her. It is very cute. A bit odd but I find it sweet. However, she is weirdly infatuated in what I am doing for a duck who doesn’t care to interact with me. So I am wondering what she may be up to?

Should I try to bond with her more? Is she plotting against me? I am unsure. I don’t mind the small bug eyed shadow, but I do wish I knew what she wanted. I would absolutely love to form a better relationship and I can’t tell if this is a possible invitation or if she’s keeping tabs on me hahah.

I don’t know, let me know what you think!
If you feed them, they will love you...

And by that, I mean green things. Peas, grapes, spinach, lettuce... my ducks are friendly, because I hand out goodies a few times a week. Hard boiled eggs are good, but my ducks think spinach is crack.

Ducks can't differentiate species, as far as I know - so she's probably trying to figure out what the bigger duck is doing, so she can act accordingly. If you nod at her, does she nod back?

If you feed them, they will love you...

And by that, I mean green things. Peas, grapes, spinach, lettuce... my ducks are friendly, because I hand out goodies a few times a week. Hard boiled eggs are good, but my ducks think spinach is crack.

Ducks can't differentiate species, as far as I know - so she's probably trying to figure out what the bigger duck is doing, so she can act accordingly. If you nod at her, does she nod back?
Out of the rescues, she has absolutely best figured out where food and treats come from. The ducks like spinach so much that I have a weekly spinach budget 😅

I will try to nod at her today and see what happens, I realize I haven’t tried that yet!

Thank you for your reply ☺️ I hope her and i can find a good way to communicate

IMG_3283.jpeg

Before I built a fence to keep them contained, mine used to peek in the window to see if I was coming out with treats. I took this picture when I looked up from sitting on the sofa grading student's papers and saw them watching me.

Is she your only white duck? I ask because the duck in my Avatar is my only white one. She seems to get excluded from the others some. I have always wondered if it is because she looks so different. :confused:

Out of the rescues, she has absolutely best figured out where food and treats come from. The ducks like spinach so much that I have a weekly spinach budget 😅

I will try to nod at her today and see what happens, I realize I haven’t tried that yet!

Thank you for your reply ☺️ I hope her and i can find a good way to communicate
Oh, you already give them spinach? A few if my ducks follow me around, ever hopeful I will drop a leaf.... Regardless of what else I am doing. She might just be begging. Lmao

Edit: I also have a weekly spinach budget, btw. I know your pain!🤣❤️

View attachment 3498691

Before I built a fence to keep them contained, mine used to peek in the window to see if I was coming out with treats. I took this picture when I looked up from sitting on the sofa grading student's papers and saw them watching me.

Is she your only white duck? I ask because the duck in my Avatar is my only white one. She seems to get excluded from the others some. I have always wondered if it is because she looks so different. :confused:
Hahaha, yes. Mine used to watch me through the window before I fenced in my back yard 😂

She is not my only white duck but she is a bit smaller than the rest. A little different for sure!

Back
Top Bottom