Duck Breed Focus - Cayuga

So the one with the green head has a raspy voice ? Or a loud quack? I am not sure about your coloring on the other one if Cayuga but I think @CayugaJana can say? What a cute pic of you little chicken roo. Yep they can sure fool us. lol I have 3 eggs cooking under my OEGB right now so here we go again. lol

So the one with the green head has a raspy voice ? Or a loud quack? I am not sure about your coloring on the other one if Cayuga but I think @CayugaJana can say? What a cute pic of you little chicken roo. Yep they can sure fool us. lol I have 3 eggs cooking under my OEGB right now so here we go again. lol
They both have green on their heads but the smaller duck's has less. The greener duck's quack is lower and huskier...it is not a "rasp" that people often describe for drakes. From what I have read, drakes don't quack....but what if they are alarmed? what if someone picks up their duck friend? Do drakes really NEVER quack...a full quack. If that is the case, then my greener duck is definitely female because "he/she" is generally totally quiet, or makes similar clucky noises just like the other duck, OR (daily...but not often) quacks...LOUDLY.

They both have green on their heads but the smaller duck's has less. The greener duck's quack is lower and huskier...it is not a "rasp" that people often describe for drakes. From what I have read, drakes don't quack....but what if they are alarmed? what if someone picks up their duck friend? Do drakes really NEVER quack...a full quack. If that is the case, then my greener duck is definitely female because "he/she" is generally totally quiet, or makes similar clucky noises just like the other duck, OR (daily...but not often) quacks...LOUDLY.
Just to be clear, when I use the description of raspy, or hoarse...I'm still referring to a full-on quack, not raspy mutterings. He/she has a slightly different tone than the smaller duck that I'm referring to as a "she". The female quacks a lot and the quack is slightly higher pitched, faster, more urgent sounding. The "male" with darker green plumage has a lower pitch, slower quack and only quacks occasionally. Here is another picture showing them together. The smaller duck has color too, and even green on her head (lower duck in pic)...just not as intense. As you know, it is hard to get a good photo of a Cayuga that really shows the color. Thanks for all of the insightful help!!

Attachments

• 20180818_101632.jpg
    20180818_101632.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
My Runner drake never quacks even if startled it's always the same sound raspy and quiet sound it's a good thing too he talks every breath. lol Looking at your pics from that angle looks like the other one is Cayuga she may molt out of those browns. I'd still like to see @CayugaJana on this thread. She has Cayuga.

It looks like you have two girls from your last picture. Have you googled male and female duck quacks? It’s pretty easy once you get used to what you are hearing.
I have googled the vocalizations...and I thought I had a male given what I heard...raspy grunts and mumblings...but now he does a full-on quack every now and then. For the most part , he.is very quiet especially compared to the other duck. He apoears to "mate" the other duck since 3 mos. old and is now 4 mos. old but I have not seen any male parts!! I guess time will tell but I just wish I knew for sure so that I don't have to worry about him trying to mate my chickens.

I have googled the vocalizations...and I thought I had a male given what I heard...raspy grunts and mumblings...but now he does a full-on quack every now and then. For the most part , he.is very quiet especially compared to the other duck. He apoears to "mate" the other duck since 3 mos. old and is now 4 mos. old but I have not seen any male parts!! I guess time will tell but I just wish I knew for sure so that I don't have to worry about him trying to mate my chickens.
Just wait a few months, you'll see who lays an egg and who doesn't! :D

Update?

Hi everyone,
Here's my update on Pyrtle and Samantha, 23 week old Cayuga ducks. Pyrtle (the suspected male) is more green and quite a bit larger than Samantha. Pyrtle did not quack for nearly 3 months and still does not quack nearly as much as Samantha...but when "he" does, it is boisterous and loud. He mounts the female often in their pond but there is no evidence of male parts! Last week for the first time ever, I saw Samantha mount Pyrtle which made me feel more confident that they are actually both females. No eggs yet. I certainly have no problem waiting to see who lays an egg to know for sure...my concern was about the harm a male duck can do if trying to mate a hen.

It seems they should be laying eggs soon. I will keep you posted because if my Pyrtle ends up being a male with a VERY loud quack, I'll be the queen of future "drakes that quack" threads!!! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom