Duck Breed?

carolynb

Chicken Kisser
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Raynham
Hello! I went to a chicken show yesterday in Middleboro, MA and there were quite a few small white ducks that were really cute. I tried looking up duck breeds and nothing looks exactly like it. The only breed I find that is close is Pekin but they are larger than the ones at the show. Is there a bantam Pekin duck? They were the cutest ducks I have ever seen and I would be interested in getting some in the spring.

Thanks 1lpoock!!! That's what I saw...they are the cutest!!
love.gif
Now to find a breeder
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
If they were very small and had heads and bodies shaped like toy Rubber Duckies they were White Call ducks! Maybe I should explain what I mean by looking like Rubber duckies: The bill was short and rather broad, the heads would be fairly round with puffy little cheeks. Relatively short necks. bodies fairly broad for their length. they have rather a teardrop shape viewed from either the side or straight down and short legs. Calls come in many colors but the pure white ones are usually very popular at shows since they are the easy ones to breed to match the standard. Very nice ducks indeed, there are two drawbacks the little rascals fly like birds and they are loud for their size since they were bred to be living decoys for duck hunters and a loud call was one of the requirements. Show quality birds can be expensive, but ones with minor flaws called PET quality are usually very reasonable.

Thank you for the information, goosedragon! hmmm...are they louder than a normal sized duck? Or just louder than other small ducks? I assume we would be able to clip their wings to prevent them from flying away?...?

Quote:
Well, no I think a a big old Pekin can be louder but they do like to "talk" and they are louder than you would think a tiny duck would be.
As for flying away that isn't usually a problem but you have to be smart to catch one even with clipped wings. full winged you had better be their buddy or be prepared to trap them...... a fishing landing net is handy...

Last edited:
Thanks!! Good information
smile.png

Scott, is that duck pen on your website all you would need to keep a few ducks? Do they need to free range as well - or are they content being in a structure like that?

Back
Top Bottom