Duck Breeding.

The Duck Ladie

Duck Addict
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Hello! I've decided on a date that I want my ducklings to hatch (I've never hatched duck eggs before, despite having LOTS of ducks in the past) and from my calculations, I need to start breeding earl February. I'm planning on putting the ducks in separate pens, so I know what will hatch. I'm thinking yes, but I want to double check. They all seem to be molting, does that mean they are getting ready to start mating season? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have found it depends on your ducks. Some will go through two molts a year. My Muscovy only Molt in the fall, but my Khaki's molted twice last year. One molt was earlier in the year before the breeding began, the second in the fall. Just watch the behavior of your drakes. That might be your best indication.

I have found it depends on your ducks. Some will go through two molts a year. My Muscovy only Molt in the fall, but my Khaki's molted twice last year. One molt was earlier in the year before the breeding began, the second in the fall. Just watch the behavior of your drakes. That might be your best indication.
Thank you. They are starting to act up...

Yeah, I think they are getting ready for mating season.The boys are doing some courtship displays and we are having warm weather.

Back
Top Bottom