Duck Bumblefoot - how long?

Trip to Vet was a non-event in the car. Plastic tote (20 gallon) with a modified lid for air and plenty of wood shavings...she was fine. She did manage to drop at least one bomb in the car...thank God it wasn't raining so we could let the windows down! Okay, back on track. Doctor confirmed bumblefoot. He prescribed Enroflox 100 mg to be pushed oral twice a day. We've done it twice now. VERY difficult to push that down her throat. Got more on me than in her. Also we have Eloxioral 1.5 mg Suspension Metac .90 for pain and inflammation once a day for five days. He said to do the epson salt soak 2 to 3 times a day. I cut a hole in a 5 gal buck and lined it with a rubber tube to make the edge safe...and can drop her in there for 20-30 minutes at a shot with about 2" of water in it.

I'm also going to keep her isolated 100% in the pen and keep the shavings as fresh as possible. He suggested putting her on newspaper - but I think I have a much better chance of keeping it aired out and dry by moving the shavings. We have to dispose of her eggs right now due to the meds.

If you have suggestions on best practice to push oral liquid meds...I'm all ears. I will have to do it by myself Saturday and Sunday morning. Pray for me on that one - not going to be pretty.

The center foot joint is really swollen. I hope we didn't push more infection in there when we tried to dig it out ourselves. He didn't recommend any surgery at this time. But asked us to follow up in two weeks.

Is it a pill?

Nope - both of them are liquids in a syringe. We can force her bill open...and seems like once you jab the tip of the syringe in...she moves. We have plenty of peas with us - her favorite...but that doesn't help get the liquid in

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/. I hope they showed you how to give liquid meds so she doesn’t aspirate. Wrap her in a towel like a burrito have someone hold her so you have two hands free one to open the bill the other for the syringe.
This has been hit and miss. I've managed to give the meds to her twice on my own - but usually with my wife helping. I also have a 5 gallon bucket that I cut the lid and wrapped a tube around for protection to drop her in twice a day for epson salt soak. She officially hates me now. She has started biting me - which even when we were digging out the infection with tweezers she didn't do. I truly hate this - but it is for her own good.

She hates this!!! But it is an easy way to soak that foot
1FEC2CC9-7C5E-49F6-AB04-1E1175DF42F3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom