Duck conjunctivitis? & weird head movements (pics)

Shoebox

Songster
Apr 5, 2020
This 8-week old duck has an issue with his left eye, and I sadly can't afford to take him to the avian vet at the moment after expensive urgent surgery for a different duck a few weeks ago wiped me out. :(

20230815_011504.jpg
Screenshot_20230814-214150_Gallery.jpg

For about a week I rinsed it with saline and gave gentamicin eye drops that I had on hand from a vet previously, then I've been doing saline rinse + terramycin ointment for the past 3 days after the drops ran out. He's been staying inside so I can give the eye meds 2x a day, has a bath at least once a day in the tub, and he's able to wash his face in his water cup.

The wetness/discharge around the eye has improved, but I haven't seen any improvement in that white/pink part in his eye returning to normal. And sadly as of yesterday he's suddenly acting as though he may be blind in that eye and his pupil is only barely reactive to light from a flashlight check. :(

Not sure if it's related but he also sometimes has a strange kind of head movement that I've never seen in any of my other ducks. Best way I can describe it is his head/neck drifting backwards while he's otherwise standing still and looking alert. Almost a motion like someone starting to nod off to sleep except leaning back. He'll straighten back up after a moment, but his head will immediately start drifting back again. Usually it repeats several times. And a couple of times when he's been held up for getting the eye meds, he's slumped his head/neck over as if he was falling sleep but then suddenly wakes up. But not even my tamest ducks are ever that relaxed being held, so it seems like something's wrong. Makes me wonder if he may have some neurological/other internal issue that could be affecting his eye. But otherwise he acts pretty normal and has been eating, drinking, and pooping as expected.

Any thoughts? Should I keep giving the terramycin ointment or try something different? Would something else be better if it doesn't look like infection?

Terramycin is actually what I would use for conjunctivitis, since mycoplasma is a common cause. I don’t have ducks, so I will tag @Miss Lydia for advice, and you can also post on the duck forum (under Forums above.)

Is there an injury near the eye from pecking? With some research, it looks like eye inflammation can be due to trauma, viruses, bacteria, and getting something in the eye.

Last edited:
I’ve had good success with using Terramycin ointment. I’d keep rinsing with saline and using the Terramycin I don’t know of any other med you can buy OTC and hopefully we can still get Terramycin without a prescription.

Back
Top Bottom