Duck coop building

Reba24

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
Upstate NY
I have an A-frame duck coop currently housing 3 ducks, I want to get more ducks because I have only males and want females. I wanted to extend my coop upwards by opening the A-frame and adding a second floor, would the ducks utilize it the way chickens do? I'm trying to build up because the base is on a deck which is good for no digging animals and for cleaning.

Can you build ramps for the ducks to get to a second level?

We could not get our ducks up a ramp at all. We even put peas on each step and nothing. We tried for a week.

My duckies barely even like a dirt ramp, can't imagine them going up one to get to a second level. I can imagine them clumsily rolling down the ramp though. My dirt ramp is into their pond and after reluctantly climbing it to go in, when it's time to get out they run down it with wings outspread! Not a steep incline at all but they just don't seem to like standing at an angle, especially facing downward... who knows though! All ducks are different. Perhaps start by testing with just a ramp up to food on box or something to see how they fair before altering your coop.

I attached a picture so you can see the incline of the ramp. My duck yard is kind of ghetto....

Attachments

• IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    888.9 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom