Duck egg not sure if internal pip...what should I do?!?!

vonguido

Hatching
Oct 15, 2017
Good morning everyone,

So I'm very new to this, my son found 2 eggs in a nest from a duck that got hit by a car. We created a DIY incubator(still air) have kept the temp between 99-102. 1 egg died off, however we have one egg left and should be hatching any day. I'm concerned he/she has not done the internal pip yet. I have not heard any chirping however there is some movement in the air sac at least it looks like it anyway.
My concern is when do I help the baby duckling hatch?
I have the humidity up to the 70s right now based on what I was reading, the air sac looks to be at the right stage for where the egg is.
Should I create a hole in the air sac area or on the other side?
I'm nervous that he may not make it. :(
In the pictures you can see the line that dives down into the air sac and there is some fluttering/movement that happens but I can't tell if it's a beak.

Attachments

• IMG_1876.JPG
    IMG_1876.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1878.JPG
    IMG_1878.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 230
This would be day 30 I believe for the eggs to be in the incubator. So that's what worries me.

**update**
So I just held up the egg to my ear and heard a very slight chirp :) I heard a rthymic tapping so hopefully that means he/she is working on getting out of it.

I still don't see his beak in the air sac however I do see "parts" in there.

Yep.....Just keep waiting.....It takes up to 24 hours from internal pip to external pip and then another 24 hours to start to zip out...Ducklings are extremely slow to hatch...They take many rests....Do not assist until you ask because it could cause the Duckling to bleed to death and the yolk might not be absorbed fully....
Best wishes.…..

Yep.....Just keep waiting.....It takes up to 24 hours from internal pip to external pip and then another 24 hours to start to zip out...Ducklings are extremely slow to hatch...They take many rests....Do not assist until you ask because it could cause the Duckling to bleed to death and the yolk might not be absorbed fully....
Best wishes.…..
I really appreciate the help.

We have external pip!!

So he/she is still in the incubator as it's a DIY still air incubator made from a cooler. I currently have some towels in there to help get the humidity up to the 80s.

Should I keep the egg in there during this stage? Should I remove some towels and let the humidity drop?

Not sure on the final steps, also what about once the duckling hatches, when I can move him/her into a homemade brooder(box w/ heat lamp)?

Attachments

• IMG_1889.JPG
    IMG_1889.JPG
    647 KB · Views: 219
Yes....Leave the egg in the incubator till it hatches and 80 is pretty high....60 to 65% is best...Leave Duckling till its hatched and has dried off a bit then move it to the brooder with a heat lamp....If it's a single Duckling put a mirror and a stuffed toy in with it so it does not feel alone....

Hope all goes well.....

Yes....Leave the egg in the incubator till it hatches and 80 is pretty high....60 to 65% is best...Leave Duckling till its hatched and has dried off a bit then move it to the brooder with a heat lamp....If it's a single Duckling put a mirror and a stuffed toy in with it so it does not feel alone....

Hope all goes well.....

Thank you. I will remove some towels to drop the humidity and replace with a dry towel over the mesh.

Back
Top Bottom