duck food recommendations & advice needed

expensive feed!! LOL but good
I use it too. I know the per bag price seems high, but I tried a lot of other types and they wasted half of it. There was feed thrown ALL OVER! With Mazuri, I swear they don't waste a single piece! And when I keep track, they don't use as much. The real monthly costs end up very close. I found something similar when I tried a more expensive dog food with my dogs. The dogs didn't need as much food, which reduced the cost a little and, even better, there was less poop!

My ducks’ favorite food is DuMor Duck Feed. You can get it for like $7.99 per 10 lbs bag at Tracor Supply. I like that it’s not too expensive, & I don’t need to haul those bloody 50 lb bags. If you need it to be even more cost effective, you can go with the Purina Flock Raiser for like $26.95/50 lb bag. My domestic flock of between 40-50 ducks will all eat that, but it isn’t preferred. Matsuri is probably far and away the highest quality from what I have heard, but mine only like to eat that when in the water. They are kind of “odd ducks” (haha - pun intended). Lol! Also, it’s twice as expensive as the Purina Flock raiser so I guess it also depends on your budget, how many ducks you are needing to feed, etc.

With regard to fruit and veggie scraps - no citrus either. I love that they consume all of our strawberry tops, salad scraps, etc. There is really little to no waste. Hope this info helps.

I had some of my ducks in a food study for a university. They absolutely all hated the Mazuri Waterfowl feed. It is expensive and the young man that borrowed the ducks for the summer gave me the big bag that was left for the rest of my ducks. None of them would touch it. I don't know if it has to be in water or if he tried that or not. I have fed mine Rural King feed before and they seem to do alright with that along with the Purina Flock Raiser and Duckling Starter from Dumor when they are first born. Hopefully yours will do good no matter what route you decide to go. Those 50 pound bags certainly are a bear.

My ducks’ favorite food is DuMor Duck Feed. You can get it for like $7.99 per 10 lbs bag at Tracor Supply. I like that it’s not too expensive, & I don’t need to haul those bloody 50 lb bags. If you need it to be even more cost effective, you can go with the Purina Flock Raiser for like $26.95/50 lb bag. My domestic flock of between 40-50 ducks will all eat that, but it isn’t preferred. Matsuri is probably far and away the highest quality from what I have heard, but mine only like to eat that when in the water. They are kind of “odd ducks” (haha - pun intended). Lol! Also, it’s twice as expensive as the Purina Flock raiser so I guess it also depends on your budget, how many ducks you are needing to feed, etc.

With regard to fruit and veggie scraps - no citrus either. I love that they consume all of our strawberry tops, salad scraps, etc. There is really little to no waste. Hope this info helps.
Do you ever let yours have tomato scraps from left over salad. I had thought I had read it was a no no. Mine got a few pieces in left over salad that I had and seem to be just fine but I was wondering if in larger amounts it is okay or not. I have a lot of left over ones in my garden right now.

I had some of my ducks in a food study for a university. They absolutely all hated the Mazuri Waterfowl feed. It is expensive and the young man that borrowed the ducks for the summer gave me the big bag that was left for the rest of my ducks. None of them would touch it. I don't know if it has to be in water or if he tried that or not. I have fed mine Rural King feed before and they seem to do alright with that along with the Purina Flock Raiser and Duckling Starter from Dumor when they are first born. Hopefully yours will do good no matter what route you decide to go. Those 50 pound bags certainly are a bear.
i just switched my ducks to mazuri, i mixed it half and half with "kalmbach duck and goose" (their old feed) for about two weeks and then started feeding just mazuri. they take time to get used to it because it's not a pellet like most feeds

My guys absolutely love the Mazuri. I have so many now I'm cutting it with Purina duck pellets. After they pick out all the Mazuri, they gobble down the duck pellets.
I never tried mine in water so maybe that is why no one would touch it. Not sure how the University Student used it but said no one would touch it for him either no matter how hungry they should have been. I never realized people added it to water so it might have been our fault it was never liked.

I don't put mine in water so that's not it. Ducks don't like their food changed. If changing you have to gradually do it like for a dog. I'm guessing your student took them off crumbles and straight to the Mazuri pellets. They wouldn't like the change. I do half starter and half pellets at first. They pick all the starter out but eventually after a week they begin to try the pellets and I can stop with the starter. It helps to have a few who already eat the new food. They are very resistant to any change but if they see some other duck do it, they know its safe. Silly little creatures but so cute.
He claimed there was a mixture but they would pick out the Mazuri pellets and mine all have pellets also that were added with the regular ones. They surely as silly little creatures. Thanks for verifying it was at least not the water. Maybe a bad bag of feed but it smelled normal for duck food and I saw no mold or anything like that in it. It was a duck food study so maybe there were just so many types added to their diet that they got really picky. He had them for the entire summer before I bought them back from him.

Back
Top Bottom