Duck food

Missy60

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
Southwest Virginia
I just realized I'm suppose to add something to Purina Flock Raiser to lower the protein level like rolled oats. I have to get my food at TSC and they are usually sold out of the smaller bags of feed. I only have three duck so I don't want 100 pounds of feed to store. I have a year old pekin duck and two nine week old mallards. The mallards don't really even eat that much at all together they might eat as much as the pekin. I bought a fifty pound bag a month ago and I still have about half left. I can get the oats to add to this bag, but what should I get next?

I checked out their website and it seem my choice would be Purina or DuMor. My duck also free range most of the day if that matters, and also get veggies and snacks like mill worms daily.

You dont necessarily have to add anything to flock raiser. Some people add things like oats to lower protein but it isnt always needed. If your ducks are foraging all day and getting insects they will eat less processed food. You can also feed flock raiser all the way to 18 weeks at which time you would be switching to a layer feed. My ducks are 12 and 8 weeks old now, have been foraging for 13 hours everyday since the temps are up and eating straight flock raiser. I have not had any feed/nutrient related problems at all.

So male ducks eat layer food to? Would it be better then to just switch to a layer food now since it has less protein. Which to me would be a better option for ducks any way. To much protein causes angel wing right?

My duck have been on flock raiser for a month now. My adult duck was on scratch grain for a while because I was told by an employee at TSC that was the best food for ducks. I guess that was wrong advice. My ducks haven't had any nutritional problems either but I want to try to prevent them. I guess the free ranging has helped fill the void. Angel wing is what really worries me and from what I get flock raiser alone has to much protein. Ok maybe I'm over thinking this, but like I said I have to buy 50 pound bags so that lasts me a long time.

Last edited:
I just realized I'm suppose to add something to Purina Flock Raiser to lower the protein level like rolled oats. I have to get my food at TSC and they are usually sold out of the smaller bags of feed. I only have three duck so I don't want 100 pounds of feed to store. I have a year old pekin duck and two nine week old mallards. The mallards don't really even eat that much at all together they might eat as much as the pekin. I bought a fifty pound bag a month ago and I still have about half left. I can get the oats to add to this bag, but what should I get next?
I checked out their website and it seem my choice would be Purina or DuMor. My duck also free range most of the day if that matters, and also get veggies and snacks like mill worms daily.
I only add Rolled oats to my ducks diet in the summer time, and if your ducklings are foraging like you say I really don't think you have to worry about angel wing. I have had ducks for 9 years and all have been on the ground since hatch and never had a problem with angel wing. I really think the varied diet makes all the difference. I also add scratch grains to their feed in the cold months.

Back
Top Bottom