Duck food?

Charlene1234

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 11, 2008
I just hatched my first duck this morning and have one more on the way. Do they eat the same mash as the chicks? I just assumed they did but now I'm not so sure? I don't want to buy a huge bag of duck food for two ducks but if I have to I will.

Thanks!

They can eat chick food ONLY if it is NOT medicated. Otherwise the ducks could keel over from getting too much medication.

If you are planning on keeping your ducks through adulthood they will eventually eat that whole bag of duck food. Just store it in a dry place.

I agree with Swampducks - ducklings eat a lot more than chicks and will go through a whole bag of food.

They can eat nonmedicated chick starter as well, but they'll need extra niacin. Brewer's yeast has a lot of niacin, but I can't find it in my area. So, I give mine a mash of yogurt, spinach, and Cheerios. They love it.

Thanks! I'll head to the feed store and get them their own bag... I guess I'll have to keep them either separated or feed them non medicated food. I've never had ducklings before.
roll.png

how long will you keep your chickies on the medicated? once they're off that, they can mix at will. at least mine do. my ducks love corn.

I have 2 ducks and I feed them mostly cracked corn. I add little non medicated feed basically what I have left in the bucket after I feed the chickens or quail. They seem to like gamebird feed better then chicken feed. THEY LOVE WORMS!!

You can feed them unmedicated chick feed or game bird starter to start with but at about 6 weeks you need to cut their protein back to about 16% or there can be developmental problems with their wings.

I never feed my ducks corn at any age. It's very fattening and basically junk food for them. If you want to give them grains use whole wheat or oats. They are nutritious and healthy and the ducks love them. Corn is used to pack on weight for meat birds but if you have egg layers or pets I would lay off the corn.

Also I know most people just feed their ducks chicken feed but I really like the results I've gotten from Mazuri Waterfowl. It's more expensive than chicken feed but it's a very balanced diet and I've had no health problems at all with my ducks and they've been eating it with their whole grains since they were 6 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom