DUCK GASPING FOR 3 MONTHS PLEASE HELP (VIDEOS ATTACHED)

Tekilou

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2021
My duck is one year old. She has been gasping and head shaking along with that noise for 3 months now (see the two links attached of videos at the bottom). She does this 24/7 although it slightly stops when she is sleeping. I dosed her for gapeworm using Zerofen fenbendazole last week but I have seen no improvement. She lives with 3 other ducks and 3 hens and they are all fine so i don't think she has anything contagious. She is eating and drinking like a normal duck and swims in the water. Although I do think she finds it uncomfortable when she eats her ration. When she does lie down her tail bobs up and down. She is constantly gasping for air. Has anyone seen anything like this? Please help thanks very much. PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEOS ATTACHED

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/oTuzIpEOYRv2

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/cU9dDoQbDpQU

I could be wrong, but she looks broody to me in the second video to me, but in the first she does look a little weird. Although if she was having problem breathing for 3 months you would think she wouldn't of made it by now. Is there a vet nearby? I would bring the videos along in case she doesn't do it there. Or maybe they would agree to at least look at the videos?

Thanks . Have you any idea how I could go about checking if she has something stuck in her throat? And how could I remove it without going to vet?

Have you felt gently along her neck ,Looked real good in her mouth.
I'm just guessing here. Something is def going on for her to be gasping like that. Nares look good and clean right? My goose got hold of some bird netting and just about had the whole piece swallowed when I saw it sticking out of her mouth.. I was able to grab it and gently pull it out but I could get hold of it. If you can't see something but feel something odd I don't know how you would get it out. This has been a long time with your duck doing this so I don't think it would be gape worms.

Pneumonia during the prepatent phase may cause signs of dyspnea and depression, whereas the adult worms and excess mucous in the trachea lead to signs of asphyxia and suffocation with the bird gasping for air [5, 6,7]. Otherwise we can say blockage of the bronchi and trachea with worms and mucus will cause infected birds to gasp for air. An infected bird often may give its head aconvulsiveshake and cough in an attempt to remove the obstruction from the trachea so that normal breathing may be resumed. The characteristic signs of ‘gapes’ are those of dyspnea and asphyxia, occurring in spasms on account of accumulation of mucus in the trachea. The bird shakes and tosses its head about and it may cough, or it extends the neck, opens the beak and performs gaping movements. They stretch out their necks, open their mouths and gasp for air producing a hissing noise as they do so. This “gaping” posture has given rise to the common term "gapeworm" to describeSyngamus trachea [5, 6]. Death resultsfrom asphyxia during such an attack or from progressive emaciation, anaemia and weakness caused by the parasite.Afore mentioned clinical signs first appear approximately 1-2 weeks after infection. Birds infected with gapeworms show signs of weakness andemaciation, usually spending much of their time with eyes closed and head drawn back against the body. Severely affected birds, particularly young ones, will deteriorate rapidly; they stop drinking and becomeanorexic. At this stage, death is the usual outcome. Adult birds are usually less severely affected and may only show an occasionalcoughor even no obvious clinical signs.EpidemiologyEggs may survive for up to 9 months in soil and L3for years within the earthworm or other transport host. Larval abundance was significantly and positively associated with temperature and relative humidity [8]. Disease is seen most frequently in breeding and rearing establishments where outdoor pens, such as are used for breeding pheasants. Infection may be initiated by eggs, passed by wild birds such as rocks and blackbirds, these may also infect earthworms. Heavy burdens may occur in turkeys kept in straw yards. They may, however, be dangerous carriers of the disease, from which other birds acquire infection. Hen-chicks, goslings and artificially reared game birds, especially pheasants, suffer mostly from the parasites [7].The effects of S. trachea are most severe in young birds especially in game chicks and turkey poults. Adult hens are not usually infected and guinea-fowl are little affected at any age. Turkeys are susceptible to infection at any age and some consider them to be the natural hosts of S. tracheahence adults often acting as carriers. Pheasants appear to be chiefly susceptible to infections ensuing in highmortality rates during outbreaks [5, 6]. The rapidly growing worms almost immediately obstruct thelumenof the trachea, causing suffocation. Turkey poults, baby chicks and pheasant chicks are most susceptible to infection. Turkey poults usually develop gapeworm signs earlier and begin to die sooner after infection than young chickens.Earthworm transport hosts are important factors in the transmission ofS. tracheawhen poultry andgame birdsare reared on soil. The longevity of infective third stage larvae

after reading this I'd think your duck would already be dead from sufficating if it was gape worms. If this has been going on 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom