Duck got Caught by Fishing Hook that Cut Stomach Advice Needed!

Jaeden0720

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Hey there, my duck got caught in a fishing hook on Monday (June 14) since we live on a lake we are guessing someone lost their fishing line due to it being snagged or a fish took it. However, we isolated the duck to prevent infection and to let it heal. She seemed extremely stressed out and wasn't really eating but continued drinking water. I am assuming that the stress was a result of becoming isolated from her fellow ducks. I tried finding and doing as much research as I am still new to owning ducks and treating their wounds. I added a little bit of Gatorade Zero to her water for the electrolytes and sugar for energy. I also bought some Microcyn to spray on her wound, I also have antibiotic ointment but I was worried that it would be too painful to stick my finger and rub in the ointment on such a deep wound so I used the spray instead. However, yesterday she escaped and ran away with her other duck friends while I was cleaning her cage. I wasn't home last night to feed them so my neighbor did and I couldn't ask them to catch her again. She just came home so I was able to take the picture. I was wondering if I can let her out now to be with her friends so she won't be as stressed out because she seems to be eating more now. Or do I need to continue to keep her in isolation. I was hoping that her feathers would keep the wound dry? She is acting normal now and you couldn't even tell if she was wounded unless you knew. I am only 15 any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Duck Cut #3.jpg
    Duck Cut #3.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Duck Cut #2.jpg
    Duck Cut #2.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Duck Cut #1.jpg
    Duck Cut #1.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 2
If the wound is healing and you treated it and the other ducks aren’t pecking it I personally would let her be but check her periodically.

However, I don’t have ducks so I don’t know for sure what would be best in this scenario.

How is she doing today?

Back
Top Bottom